Pressure loss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So....

We've had a new kitchen and decided to move the stop cock so it wouldn't require some unsightly boxing. This house was built circa 1930's and the stop cock is connected to a lead pipe. We had a good plumber move the stop cock about 3 inches, just enough so it would be hidden by the new plinth. That was 7 days ago and everything was fine.

This morning, we noticed the pressure had dropped significantly. Still sufficient for appliances to work. This evening I decided to turn the outside stopcock off-n-on several times. Now the kitchen tap is reduced to a drip. The neighbours say their water flow is fine.

Could the lead pipe have collapsed? Has the stop cock stopped? What's the most likely culprit? What can I do before shelling out for a plumber.

Sponsored Links
Could be an issue with the outside stopcock. That's normally owned by your water undertaker and so you shouldn't need to pay anything to get it sorted, just give them a call

Update:

We have a tap in the garage which I believe is not affected by the stop cock in the kitchen as its also attached to a lead pipe. I'm assuming the lead pipe is branched somewhere beneath the house.

Anyway, I turned the kitchen stop cock off. No water out the kitchen tap. Getting a dribble out the garage tap. I'm wondering if that points to either the lead pipe burst or like muggles suggests the outside stop cock not opening fully.

Sponsored Links
So....

Phoned South Staffs Water who told us to deal with it ourselves as our neighbours weren't affected.

Spoke to a plumber who said the problem was probably the outside stop tap and not the pipe, phone SSW back.

Phoned SSW back and told them what I'd done and the symptoms and that we had no water (we only had a pathetic dribble at this point).

They sent out an engineer who checked the return valve. He found we had a restrictor fitted which had got a piece of gravel stuck in it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back