Broken window lock

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The lock on one of my double glazed windows is broken. At first I thought it would be the square rod that projects from the handle that was worn. the handle was turning, but not opening the window. However, having removed the handle and inspected the square rod, it is absolutely fine. So it must be something wrong with the mechanism within the frame. I,ve looked to see whether the square socket that accepts the rod is worn, but it, shard to see it. I,ve tried jamming a large screw driver into it to see if that'll turn
N it, but it doesn't,t. Can anyone suggest what I might do? There are some images below of the broken window (without the handle on) and some more of other similar windows that work ok. Thank you.

Sponsored Links
Sounds like you need a new gearbox. I assume you cant open the broken window at all?

If the locks on both sides are engaged and stuck your in for a tuff time getting it open. There is a risk of cracking the welds on the sash so you may want to get someone in.

You may need to take the glass out to make the sash more flexible.
Then use a stiff scraper or flat screwdriver in through the seal between the frame and sash on the sides, Then lever it back and forth until it hopefully pops open.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back