Brown grout has grey patches!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We recently got cream tiles laid in the hall, kitchen and sunroom. We decided to go with brown grout. However, the brown grout seems to be very discoloured i.e. there are parts that are a very light grey!! This doesn't look the best as I'm sure you can imagine. Is there anything that can be done about this? Or even what caused this? We paid a tiler to do the job for us, do you think this is a fault in the grout or is it something the tiler has done?

Sponsored Links
Hi BH,just been reading about your discoloured grout.I don't think for a minute that there is a fault with the grout itself.When using coloured cement,grouts etc,it is very important that once they are mixed up and in use, no excess water should be allowed near,eg.flicking water on with a brush to soften up cement,or in the case of coloured grout especially brown,black or any other darker colour,using to much water on a sponge/cloth etc to wipe off the tiles.It can cause discolouration and bleach up the colour.Even lighter colours can change if too much water is used. I dont think much can be done about it now.You certainly wont get it to be the colour you want now,because the damage is done.Even if you regrouted the discoloured areas,which I wouldn't recommend,it would still dry out a different shade.To regrout the whole thing and start again would be the favourite option,but that would also be a major headache.There are some jobs where you only get one shot at it.If you don't get it right the first time,it shows.You can have the most beautiful tiles in the world,but if the grouting looks bad, the jobs spoiled. :cry: Sorry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back