Brown patches on Lawn.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
May not be the right place for this.

Started having my Daughters dog (which is a bitch) for a few days a aweek as her partner is working away and normally looks after her while the daughter works during day.

Anyone know why as we know dog bitches pee burns grass hence brown patches, not on her lawn. There's not a single brown patch anywhere on her lawn, only mine.

Have read that by giving a half a capful of white vinegar to her water bowl helps to neutralise her pee from burning the grass. ?

But why burn my grass and not my daughters. ??

thanks

Sponsored Links
Ironically it's because your grass is in good condition!

Very poor grass will actually go mad and green up because of the high nitrogen whereas grass that is in decent condition gets overloaded and burnt by the excess nitrogen.

If you look at a lawn where a dog lives it will often be super green in parts with very fast growing coarse grass.

thanks,

I know my lawn is reasonable but it suffers from moss although its on a slope and spiked etc to improve drainage also only see's the sun 80% of the year. Adding to that, during the winter with all the heavy rain we've had its clay tends to be like a muddy field.

Did a Ph test and its more to the acid side, and been suggested to add some lime to try and raise the Ph a point or two.

But whether that will help or not, will have to test her soil to see what her Ph is. Also her lawn drains well and see's the sun all year round.

From what you say, is there any point adding white vinegar to her water.

I would use apple cider vinegar I think is better for doggies, or apparently a couple tbsp of tomato juice would have the same effect on the wee, if it is going to work at all. Apparently it doesn't work with every dog, I guess increasing drinking to dilute the pee is a good bet using gravy etc, as is washing the grass down after they've gone in the garden.

Our doggies gave us brown patches from the morning wee when it was stronger so I guess more liquid makes sense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
No idea about the vinegar tales sorry. You will never have a good lawn whilst a dog uses it for toileting.

Even if the vinegar reduces the conccentration you will still get fast growing circles of overfed grass where it has gone.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back