Brown Putty(?) Around Window and Door Frames

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have this brown putty like substance externally sealing the gaps between the brick walls and the windows and doors. Some of it has come away so I need to replace it. Anyone any ideas on what it is called? It's light brown, has the consistency of putty and it just pushed in the gaps.

Sponsored Links
it could be caulk or glazing compound, but brown silicone will last longer. You have to clean out the old stuff first so it can stick to bricks and frame.

If there is a big gap, fill it first with expanding foam to block draughts (it will also hold the frame firmly in place)

I reckon it's acrylic frame sealant, ...........a cheaper version of what should have been used in the first place ie proper silicone mastic.

Steve

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies, looks like removing the existing substance and replacing it with silicone sealant is the way to go.

The current substance isn't mastic, it's more like putty. I watched the builder doing it. He had like a ball of this stuff in his hand and was just pulling bits off and pressing them into the gaps with his thumb?

Thanks again

it might have been brown glazing compound, that comes in a tub and is a bit puttyish, but is supposed not to dry and crack. You use it to glaze brown stained hardwood doors and windows. Almost everything else comes in a gun tube.

The current substance isn't mastic, it's more like putty. I watched the builder doing it. He had like a ball of this stuff in his hand and was just pulling bits off and pressing them into the gaps with his thumb?

Thanks again

Hhmmm!! Bodgit & Skarper Builders ltd ?? :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back