How to seal around aluminium double-glazed window frame?

13 Oct 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
The sealing compound around my 25-year old aluminium frames is cracked, and in places the sealant has fallen out completely, leaving a gap between frame and stonework of half an inch or more. I'm high up in a flat so can only work from the inside, and to complicate matters, the lower window pane is fixed (doesn't open). That has a depth of 42" so I'll need to open the upper pane and reach down from there to remove the old stuff and replace with new sealant.

Working with a silicone sealant in a gun just isn't going to be a practical proposition so I was hoping to apply a putty or a mastic compound using a trowel or putty knife.

Would a multi-purpose linseed-oil putty, butyl putty, or a mastic compound be suitable for this? If so, which one would be best? Thanks.
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local