Brush marks in my osmo oil oak parquet flooring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok you experts what's the secret? I bought an Osmo oil floor brush to do my oak parquet and did not put it on too thickly, it dried in about 7 hours (hard enough to walk on in my socks) but had a shed load of brush marks in it. I waited until this morning, sanded them out and applied the next coat with a paint brush and finally laying off with the grain on each block.

The floor is about 21 square meters and it took a long time but I now want to give it a final coat as I had to sand a fair bit off - there must be a quicker and better way to avoid brush marks and a streaky finish?

In anticipation.

Sponsored Links
We normally buff the floor after applying a coat (we use Blanchon hardwaxoil) and apply the hwo itself with a sponge instead of a brush.

Found the product information on Osmo HWO online - boy, osmo.com don't make it easy to find it! - where there is no mention of buffing the hwo after applying. It does say: remove surplus so I think they mean going over it with a non fluffy cloth.
It never done us any harm (when we did use Osmo before. Blanchon is still our favourite, easier to apply thinner than osmo).

Before you apply a third coat, try - if you can find one - going over it with a buffing machine and white pad.

Here's the PDF I finally found

Thanks once again - you mentioned application with a sponge can you clarify a little.

Sponsored Links
If your finish coat is leaving brush marks then it is too thick or you are going over it too many times and it is drying as you brush. Thin it down and use a good quality brush. Do it quickly and don't over brush it. The marks will then drop out.

Thanks everyone - used a short haired roller as recommended and it went on and dried a treat. Cracking satin finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back