Brushing artex have I exposed myself to asbestos?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just brushed a Artex ceiling to clean it and quite a few bits of paint dropped of which I ignorantly thought were paint

Panicking a bit now..

Should i be concerned and am i okay to clean the ceiling in this way with the brush out of a dustpan brush set

Sponsored Links
If it was a soft brush it would not disturb the artex, a stiff brush might. Chances are the artex has been painted and if so it could well have been flaking paint that you disturbed. I wouldn't worry too much.

Sponsored Links
You are obviously worried but nobody can give you the absolute reassurance you want. If you have been exposed, what would you now be able to do about it and what benefit would you get from knowing?
Is the ceiling even definitely an asbestos containing artex?
Exposure does not inevitably, or even usually, lead to progression.
On the balance of probabilities there is only a low likelihood that your exposure, if any, would have adverse effects.

I am presuming that this is a personal worry and not the initiation of a complaint against an employer for failure to consider a health and safety risk.

As per the last reply - might be some exposure but there's nothing you can do now and it'll be a limited amount anyway.

Is it 5% of textured ceiling content is asbestos? Assuming yours contains asbestos: 5% of a few flakes that fell might contain asbestos, then only a % of what you brushed off got inhaled.

Don't panic but don't do it again.

Humans who've spent any appreciable amount of time on the planet have hundreds of thousands of asbestos fibres in every gram of their lung tissue due to natural background exposure - try not to worry so much; it's asbestos, not ebola!

It kills 1000s of times the number Ebola kills.

It kills 1000s of times the number Ebola kills.

Hardly, asbestos related diseases are killing ~1800 people a year in the UK. It's expected the number will peak in the coming years. Why? Industrial exposure to workers during the 80's now beginning to take effect. Ebola has killed 11000 people in the last couple of years alone.

Interestingly the experts reckon on heavy exposure to asbestos showing harmful outcomes e.g Mesothelioma at rarely less than 25 years and often more than 50 years.

In short, stop trying to scare and apply some perspective, a tiny amount of exposure at home these days is insignificant. If you've been alive since the 70's it's probable your lungs are full of asbestos brake shoe linings anyhow :LOL:

Ebola has killed how many in the UK?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back