BS7671 and Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am little confused by the above. Don't get me wrong - not a pro spark, but need to do some work which is a bit of a jigsaw and will probably have to do it myself. On looking ont he forum have found it useful and did what Pedantic suggested and bought IEE Elecs Guide. Interesting book.

The work to be carried out is in a kitchen, a special location. I have to install a new lighting circuit, from below - therefore new ceiling. I can understand that is notifiable. I also have to move a cooker outlet and some other fused outlets. Important point here is move. As far as I can see the regs do not mention moving points only adding and extending.

Am I right or being blinkered?

Presumably BC will issue a certificate or something for the lighting circuit as long as it is installed safely and works properly but as all the wiring work will be covered by new ceiling and main part above kitchen is inaccessible due to a tiled bathroom how will they be able to check joists have been drilled correctly etc. or are they not bothered about those elements?

Sorry for such a long question but regs are confusing.

I would offer the job but it is going to be a real pig and we cannot have the kitchen out of action for days which I imagine is what a pro-spark would need.

Sponsored Links
moosehead said:
As far as I can see the regs do not mention moving points only adding and extending.

alteration also comes into it.

youll have to either get BC to come check all the work or get a spark in.

theyll want plans ahead of the work start and they might come visit during to work. i.e after the cables are in and before the ceiling goes up.

Ok - any Competent Registered Persons who would like a days work this side of Christmas in the Chislehurst area consisting of:-
New Lighting circuit in kitchen - ceiling will be removed and cable in place, but not hooked up.
Move cooker and hob outlet - I'll do the chasing/making good
Convert socket to Fused outlet - I'll do chasing/making good

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gary but I wanted to avoid yellow pages and such like.

if anyone wants to call and discuss off-line please feel free 07850-519855.

Huge apologies - just noticed previous wrong number

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back