BT broadband, savings to be made??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 12 months are up and i am considering new broadband deals. There are plenty of cheaper firms but for peace of mind I am happy with Bt. I like the look of Bt's hub, phone and v-box.
I have seen these all on ebay selling cheap, is there any point buying this equipment off ebay, am I really making a saving or as I suspect is there something crucial I am not considering

Sponsored Links
We still live in the dark ages before the joys of freeview, once i get round to sorting out the aerial (any day now) we can sit back and enjoy. Also i am not wireless so these things would be new.
As i understand it you need a hub to get a v-box, £30 online. However these hubs are going for silly money on ebay, but i'm thinking will I need to purchase the hub and phone direct from BT to enjoy these services?

ask bt, but acording to the ads they give them away free when you sign up

Sponsored Links
If you buy the vision box of ebay all you are buying really is a hard disk freeview receiver/recorder. You can watch, pause, record live freeview. To use the added extras that the v box gives you - loads of films, tv shows etc to download very quickly and easily - you have to sign up for option three broadband with BT.

For that reason, you may as well just get the lot from BT all at the same time.

I am on BT Broadband option one.

Got Home hub Vbox and installation free.

To use VBox, you need home hub and btbroadband

Vbox is not a standalone unit

The whole lot is very easy to set up

????? are you in a freeview arae????

I've helped maybe a dozen people get broadband this year. On every occasion the initial connection hasn't worked. Everytime the supplier says it's the users fault - every time I've proved it to be the suppliers fault.

The worst was a seven month argument via indian call centers before I made them read out every detail they had and found they'd activated a house (with a phone number diferent by one digit) in the next street by accident.

My point is that if you get your own equipment, though it will be cheaper, when your broadband connection doesn't work, BTs responce wil be to blame your equipment. If you're not a techie, you won't be able to prove otherwise.

If you let them supply the kit, when it doesn't work you just tell them "not my problem - you fix it or I won't pay" and then cancel your direct debit.

why not just have sky + set up and installed for FREE!

Advertising link removed

Mod Rupert

move to beunlimited best service ive had been with them about 2years now and prices just dropped to 18quid for 24mb uncapped broadband

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back