Bt Drop cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks
I'm new here and this Q may have been asked somewhere along the lines in the forum but ,here goes,
I was wondering what the best cable is to extend a BT drop wire? I know its a tad on the naughty side but I'll risk it for a biscuit, What it is ,is that my drop wire/cable (Black) comes up from the ground inside a pantry inside of the house and I'm after taking the pantry wall down so i was hoping to move the Master socket closer to the router in the living room( about 15-18 mts)tops, At the moment i think it has been cut at sometime as there are 2 jelly crimps about 6 inch from the cable and there's probably only 8 inch out of the floor so i was hoping maybe i could get two more jelly crimps and run Cat5/6 cable to a repositioned Maser socket and also will it improve my broadband speed?
Pleas try and tell me in layman's terms as some of the terminology gets a slight confusing lol :confused:
Thank
Rick

Sponsored Links
You are not allowed to do this as it is before they !Aster box and so you are tampering with BT equipment. You could ask BT for new master socket and get them to re-position.
But if you do do it, first remember that the BT line is LIVE, so again you should not do this. Look on eBay for a good BT parts supplier so you use original parts. Then get BT junction box, BT jelly crimps and BT drop cable and a new master socket (if you need the newest one). Those words should all be good for eBay searches.
DO NOT USE CAT/ETHERNET cable. It has the wrong transmission properties for the ADSL, and the wrong wire diameter for the BT crimps.
Sfk

Last edited:
Also, do a Google search for
"Upgrade BT master socket"
This provides loads of help.
Sfk

Also, do a Google search for
"Upgrade BT master socket"
This provides loads of help.
Sfk
Thanks
I've got a master socket and also a ADSL speed enhancer face plate,, I'll give fleabay a look
regards
Rick

Sponsored Links
Sounds good. Note that my suggestion of the Google search was more that it also provides loads of advice for how to move the faceplate. And discussion on the legality.
Sfk

Seeing as it's already been tampered with, you might as well just go for it TBH.

Use CW1308 cable and not 10b dropwire. 1 pair cable will be enough if you want the filter at the new location, but you might as well run 2 pair cable as it can give you more options in terms of splitting the ADSL signal at the master location if needed, but I don't think you'll see a speed increase by doing that, the signal has still got to travel the extra 15 metres anyway.

You really ought to make it look 'not tampered with' though, so fit a master socket with a removable lower half at the current location. Connect the extension to this removable lower half and put your filtered slave socket at the new location. You don't need a plug in filter at the master socket if you don't intend to plug anything into it.

Also, also the lines of making it look legit, you must use a punch down tool like this...
31lN02CZGcL._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

...to connect the wires into the slots. It will be such an obvious and clear proof that it was DIY-ed otherwise. And get rid of the jelly crimps and put the master directly onto the incoming cable, even if that means it has to be screwed to the skirting board for example because the cable wont reach.

Gaz :)

Regaz
I missed that, yes the punch down tool is essential.

However, regarding not using jelly crimps. My understanding was that it was normal in the distant BT past (now superceded) as All the houses around me have the drop cable from BT to a BT16A junction box on the outside wall. This contains the jelly crimps that connect another length of BT cable along the outside wall, though the wall, to the master socket. All of this is BT standard (at least here in old fittings) but please tell me if I am mistaken and this is a dodgy change on my street. Also, is there a new junction that is now normally used on outside wall?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BT16A-Ext...hash=item3aaf65a819:m:mwGsvFpFE_91Xn0Xkvzu9uw

But agreed, your method of not using junction is much better if possible.
Sfk

Last edited:
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
My understanding was that it was normal

Normal for external use, yes, but if you asked BT to move your master when the cable was internal already, you're much more likely to see a BT49a/BT80a in older installations (especially where the cable comes through a wooden window frame, i.e. before cordless drills and done with a hand brace in my experience) or a BT77a in newer ones. Even if they used jelly crimps indoors, they would never be just loose and on show like I think the OP means, they would be in a box of some sort.

After re-reading the original post, I didn't spot that he is removing the wall it's on, so keeping a master there won't work. It all depends on the current route of the incoming cable and the location of the nearest remaining wall. Rick, you'll need to do some investigation, pulling up some floorboards, checking outside for any external junction boxes, etc before you can choose a suitable plan. Sticking a junction box under the floorboards and making it inaccessible is a dreadful idea.

All the houses around me have the drop cable from BT to a BT16A junction box on the outside wall.

The only reason for that, is so that the builders on new houses can wire the internal socket and run a cable to the 16A and therefore the BT man can connect and test the new line from outside without having to collect 50/100/whatever bunches of keys from the developer to enter every single property. In that circumstance, I do wonder whether the old 'not allowed to mess with the master socket' rule is valid at all, because surely it belongs to the homeowner after buying the house. BT never touched it.

Normal for external use, yes, but if you asked BT to move your master when the cable was internal already, you're much more likely to see a BT49a/BT80a in older installations (especially where the cable comes through a wooden window frame, i.e. before cordless drills and done with a hand brace in my experience) or a BT77a in newer ones. Even if they used jelly crimps indoors, they would never be just loose and on show like I think the OP means, they would be in a box of some sort.

After re-reading the original post, I didn't spot that he is removing the wall it's on, so keeping a master there won't work. It all depends on the current route of the incoming cable and the location of the nearest remaining wall. Rick, you'll need to do some investigation, pulling up some floorboards, checking outside for any external junction boxes, etc before you can choose a suitable plan. Sticking a junction box under the floorboards and making it inaccessible is a dreadful idea.

The only reason for that, is so that the builders on new houses can wire the internal socket and run a cable to the 16A and therefore the BT man can connect and test the new line from outside without having to collect 50/100/whatever bunches of keys from the developer to enter every single property. In that circumstance, I do wonder whether the old 'not allowed to mess with the master socket' rule is valid at all, because surely it belongs to the homeowner after buying the house. BT never touched it.

Thanks RS Gaz ,,
We live on an estate and the drop wires come in underground into my pantry which is a concrete floor so I was hoping to (kind of )recreate the scenario by jelly crimping it into a suitable JB and burying it into the floor ,I know its not that suitable but I think its the only route I've got.
Thanks
Rick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back