BT Landline switch off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like it is all going to happen.

Looks like BT / Openreach have done SFA about the problem of VOIP phones not working in a power cut, despite promising last year that they would.

Looks like they are assuming that every single one of their benighted customers has a mobile, and a reliable mobile signal.

Looks like they are assuming that not one of their benighted customers has more than one wired handset or other device (like a fax machine).

Looks like the whole <bleeping> plan has been made by people who are so <bleeping> ignorant and so <bleeping> insular that they think the entire world is like them.

I have a house wired for corded phones. WTF should I have to (at my expense) be forced install several of those disgusting and arguably illegal PLT things, or (at my expense) be forced to buy several cordless phones? What if there's no handy electrical socket near where I want the phones?

I have a lift with an emergency phone in it, and a power cut is a very likely time to want to use it. So what the <bleep> am I supposed to do?

Just how <bleeping> unacceptable do BT's plans have to be before someone official takes them to a quiet corner and says "You will NOT <bleeping> make things worse for people and then make them pay to try and recover some, but not all, of the functionality you've decided to take away"?

Sponsored Links
Perhaps draft complaint letters to Ofcom and the Minister for Geriatrics (or whatever she/he is called)?

I've heard what it's like trying to get dental treatment - there is zero chance that Ofcom have acquired any teeth.

PLT? AFAIK the BT digital phone adaptors are WiFi, not powerline.

Sponsored Links
But seriously - is it really so technically difficult that not one telecommunications maker in the world could craft a device which sits where the customer's master socket is, upstream connects to the incoming wires (maybe even has plug-in modules which could be swapped to connect to fibre), and downstream supports continued use of the customer's existing infrastructure of phone extension cables & sockets, telephones, modems etc?

Remove the faceplate from the NTE5 which isolates the internal wiring, the use male-male cable to connect the analogue phone port on the BT hub to the phone wiring.

If the hub is not where the master socket is then use an extension socket or the DV Adapter to connect the analogue wiring.

I was going to try/look into, running all my phone wiring and sockets from the port on the back of the hub...

Openreach withdrawing copper line service does have issues, however ...
I have a house wired for corded phones. WTF should I have to (at my expense) be forced install several of those disgusting and arguably illegal PLT things, or (at my expense) be forced to buy several cordless phones? What if there's no handy electrical socket near where I want the phones?
This sounds somewhat contrived.
I have a lift with an emergency phone in it, and a power cut is a very likely time to want to use it. So what the <bleep> am I supposed to do?
You do? In a home? Do ye olde copper phone lines serve this function well or do they have their own set of issues?

But seriously - is it really so technically difficult that not one telecommunications maker in the world could craft a device which sits where the customer's master socket is, upstream connects to the incoming wires (maybe even has plug-in modules which could be swapped to connect to fibre), and downstream supports continued use of the customer's existing infrastructure of phone extension cables & sockets, telephones, modems etc?
There is? ATA devices are normally rj11 socketed but not too tricky to use existing cabling but pulse dialing is a bit too niche to be usually supported.
Modems aren't going to work over a bog-standard voip service under normal circumstances. Fax can work over a voip but doing this way is crazy, there are decent web to fax services as a replacement which are functionally better.

And I've just thought - I've got an outdoor weatherproof phone down at the end of the garden, out of WiFi range. I wonder what BT's solution to keeping that working would be...

Alarm systems and emergency reporting systems dependent on the line monitoring PTSN ( loop current ) are already failing.

This sounds somewhat contrived.
Having phone sockets dotted around the house, with 6 or 7 in use, is contrived? How so?
You do? In a home? Do ye olde copper phone lines serve this function well or do they have their own set of issues?
Yes, in a home. And the hard-wiring to the phone in it works fine.

There is? ATA devices are normally rj11 socketed but not too tricky to use existing cabling but pulse dialing is a bit too niche to be usually supported.
Modems aren't going to work over a bog-standard voip service under normal circumstances. Fax can work over a voip but doing this way is crazy, there are decent web to fax services as a replacement which are functionally better.
When I said "modem" I meant the broadband modem which most people call a router. Yes, they (e.g. BT Smarthub) have built-in routers, but in the context of this rant it's the connecting of the modem part which is relevant.

And who said anything about pulse dialling?

AFAIK BT already can do that such that your old wiring can be connected to the new voip socket on the back of the router. I made my own voip plug to fixed wiring adapter.
and have a look at this

Auteldac3.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back