BT Landline switch off

If a farmers line is converted to fibre will :-

a) the farmer have to provide power at the top of the pole
or
b) will OpenReach have to find a way to run the fibre across the terrain that previously prevented GPO engineers from installing a copper pair cable to the farm house.
or
c) will the farmer have to accept mobile connection for his phone and internet.

Because, let's face it, in the world as it exists inside the vacuous heads of the callow millennials who make these decisions at offices in cities, mobile networks are utterly pervasive. Everybody has great 4G or 5G, and everybody has a mobile phone which they use for everything - phone calls, internet, controlling their heating, switching their lights on and off, monitoring their electric toothbrush...

Sponsored Links
Please - it is NOT just BT - it is all Telecom's providers who made the agreement some years ago;
see https://www.gov.uk/guidance/uk-transition-from-analogue-to-digital-landlines
. BT call it Digital Voice (why I don't know as the whole country has been digital switched and transmission from circa 1995).

I'm F**K**G sick of people blaming BT for an industry wide practise. What is so really bad for BT is the 'Universal Service Provision' requirement so the cherry picking (CP's) companies sit on their hands and let BT take the blame for something they are all doing including taking the revenue generating business and BT has to sort out all the other problems that the CP's can't be bothered to service.
Except BT still own all of the network assets and they still own all of Openreach and aren't they are being allowed to wriggle out of some Universal Service Obligations by forcing customers to use mobile phones?

I just realized something! My broadband is via the copper wires. Am I f*ed? At the moment both the router and phone are up stairs, and not at the place where the BT wires come into the house next to the door on the ground floor. The interior wiring was part of the house build.

Same situation here, though not part of the original build. Plan is, when it comes...

Main router in living room, next to where I expect it to come in then around living room under carpet, to reuse a LAN cable, feeding up to old main router. Old main router then feeds everything else, just as before.
My posting in this thread (posting #2) should explain what what expect to happen.

Except BT still own all of the network assets and they still own all of Openreach
OpenReach does not own ALL network assests!
Vigin Media owns it's own netwiork, ducts and buildings. Much of it built in the 1990's.
Gigaclear, CityFibre and similar are installing their own networks - some in or on OR resources (i.e. their connection box and 'cable' up up the OR pole or in the OR footway manhole) but also installing their own ducts and distribution connections to customers premises. Drive around various towns and cities to see just hany roads, footpaths and grass vergs are being ripped up and badly reinstated by new companies - Not OR or BT. GigaClear hve recently provided their own network in my home village, over half the roads have Traffic restrictions whilst they messed up footpaths and roads; disturbing peoples sleep when they were pulling cables in overnight.

If I understand this listing correctly OR wholesale to the companies in the list.
and aren't they are being allowed to wriggle out of some Universal Service Obligations by forcing customers to use mobile phones?
Now that is a good question - why don't you ask Ofcom 'cause I don't know the answer. What I do know is BT will provide or provide information on Battery backup for ONT's and Routers.

Brother in Law has a different problem, his alarm and monitoring company have just 'tried' to replace his alarm system control but are unable to do so because he is still on copper fed analogue phone network. I take that to mean that the alarm and monitoring companies are getting ready to work with VOIP systems.

VOIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol) is what the BroadBand speech service uses.

Last edited:
OpenReach does not own ALL network assests!
Vigin Media owns it's own netwiork, ducts and buildings. Much of it built in the 1990's.
Gigaclear, CityFibre and similar are installing their own networks - some in or on OR resources but also installing their own ducts and distribution connections to customers premises.

How does all that, affect their customers' ability to swap and change suppliers? Virgin came past here, putting cable access points at every drive end, and then seemed quite desperate to sign people up. I was wary of possibly being tied to a single provider, so kept away.

Sponsored Links
How does all that, affect their customers' ability to swap and change suppliers? Virgin came past here, putting cable access points at every drive end, and then seemed quite desperate to sign people up. I was wary of possibly being tied to a single provider, so kept away.
Not at all. If you have, say a VM supply today with their underground connection and once that contract expires you decide to go to GigaClear then the VM connection to your house will remain although expect the internal bowex to be recovered and Gigaclear to supply their own external and internal feeds.

Not at all. If you have, say a VM supply today with their underground connection and once that contract expires you decide to go to GigaClear then the VM connection to your house will remain although expect the internal bowex to be recovered and Gigaclear to supply their own external and internal feeds.

We only have the one point at the end of our drive, does that on have the ability to serve up other companies offerings?

We only have the one point at the end of our drive, does that on have the ability to serve up other companies offerings?
Well I presume you presently have an OR pole or hole supplying you presently and a VM point at the end of you drive. The OR supply will carry the majority of service providers but VM will only supply VM service.
I've not had any dealings with BT terrestrial networks for over 25 years, don't know your address and even if I did I could not give you a more detailed answer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back