Btecs being cancelled...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Don't think I've seen this posted on here,

https://amp.theguardian.com/comment...ill-young-people-post-16-qualifications-lords

Seems the government are getting rid of btecs in order to force people onto their unknown T qualifications, which there are many questions over and restricts many student from higher education.

It is normal for qualifications to be changed and updated, however this one is different as it is being done so sneekily, which suggests it's likely a bad thing and will not be as good as the btecs

Sponsored Links
Don't think I've seen this posted on here,

https://amp.theguardian.com/comment...ill-young-people-post-16-qualifications-lords

Seems the government are getting rid of btecs in order to force people onto their unknown T qualifications, which there are many questions over and restricts many student from higher education.

It is normal for qualifications to be changed and updated, however this one is different as it is being done so sneekily, which suggests it's likely a bad thing and will not be as good as the btecs

We are not against T-levels: they may be very good qualifications for some students wanting a vocational equivalent to A-levels, but it is important to appreciate that these newer courses are only 25% practical and 75% academic. This means they are suitable for students with the highest grades of GCSEs: 6–9. They would be out of reach of those students with lower grades, who presently take up a broad and highly relevant employment-focused BTec.

80 seat majority. (y)

Why are they doing this….who is going to be making money.

We are not against T-levels: they may be very good qualifications for some students wanting a vocational equivalent to A-levels, but it is important to appreciate that these newer courses are only 25% practical and 75% academic. This means they are suitable for students with the highest grades of GCSEs: 6–9. They would be out of reach of those students with lower grades, who presently take up a broad and highly relevant employment-focused BTec.

80 seat majority. (y)

Exactly that's my point.

I'm not an academic type person a much prefer learning by doing, and the btec courses helped me and achieved a HNC.

I didn't get very good GCSE results they weren't terrible but not great either.

These new T-levels by the sounds of it will not play in the favour of those like me, or even worse those who have disabilities.

They talk about levelling the country up and then do things like this which only favours some people

Sponsored Links
Exactly that's my point.

I'm not an academic type person a much prefer learning by doing, and the btec courses helped me and achieved a HNC.

I didn't get very good GCSE results they weren't terrible but not great either.

These new T-levels by the sounds of it will not play in the favour of those like me, or even worse those who have disabilities.

They talk about levelling the country up and then do things like this which only favours some people

They are cheaper to run, practical training always costs more - look at medicine, dentistry etc.

It's another cost cutting exercise and contracts to privately run Academies. We are heading down the US path, education and healthcare in that country is a shambles.

They are cheaper to run, practical training always costs more - look at medicine, dentistry etc.

It's another cost cutting exercise and contracts to privately run Academies. We are heading down the US path, education and healthcare in that country is a shambles.

Yeah it's certainly going down hill and fast....

What courses are apprentices going to take now? I always thought they took btecs?

Back