Bubbling, Cracking & Stains In Kitchen Paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Does anyone know what the cause of the photos below could be? This is in my kitchen currently. There bubbling on one side with stains and cracking all around the kitchen where the ceiling meets the wall. About a year or so ago the paint started bubbling. It’s gotten progressively worse since. My other half was adamant the flat above had a leak while they were totally renovating it and have denied it. We informed our landlord at the time but haven’t had anyone out to sort it.

We’re due to move out soon. Does anyone know if this looks like damage from a leak upstairs or is there any conditions where we may have caused this damage?

Along with the photos I have attached a floor plan of the flats with where the paint damage is. Black is the main bubbling and red is where the cracks are.

Any suggestions welcome.

FD220B5A-0F51-4CD5-8E1F-E33281A9F18D.jpeg E801BA17-3BDD-48B0-95AF-DCC89397D0CF.jpeg 9ED4C70D-2D13-4CA1-996C-F7257D2536AF.jpeg 6C4C7527-8009-4ACB-85D4-F5BCCCC2BF07.jpeg E4740408-3484-4B54-AA5C-F9ECDF48068E.jpeg

Attachments

• upload_2021-6-16_21-9-4.jpeg
    upload_2021-6-16_21-9-4.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 72
Sponsored Links
The ceiling looks like water damage. Is there a brown stain?

If you emulsion over a brown stain, and find you can't cover it with emulsion, it's likely to be a water stain, caused by a leak.

The crazed paint on the walls may be caused by a leak - but even more likely paint has been applied onto grease or old wallpaper paste.

Either way, there are special primers available that should help.

I agree, it looks like water damage. The cracking could be Matt paint over silk. Could also be grease as said above. In kitchens grease does tend to stick to the walls above the cupboards!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back