Bubbling Paint driving me mad

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Wonder if someone can help me. I've decorated the kitchen and above the worktop there is a ceiling joist thats been plastered, but on the edges the paint is bubbling and I can see the rusty metal beading showing through.

Any advise how on whats happening and or how to solve it?

I was initially thinking there was a a leak but the walls are dry, so wondered if its the rusty metal beading making it happen.

Any adivce would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
DarrenP, good evening,

Several options open with varying degrees of mess and speed attaching.

1/. I think you are correct in that the metal corner beads are rusting and blowing the paint off, the rusting will continue as water vapour gets at the metal bead.
Options?
A/. Strip of the plaster + corner beads and re-plaster using plastic beads? [A messy operation]
B/. Remove the plaster +corner beads and clad the beam with plasterboard / skim if desired?? [Again the latter can be messy]
C/. Remove the plaster +corner beads then clad with plywood? [removal of plaster is messy at times]
D/. Over clad with Ply? but leave the plaster on the beam?? [simplest fastest method and cleanest]

Ken.

Thanks for replying Ken
Ideally I'd like to either plasterboard over it or remove the offending bead and apply a new one I think.

For a fast easy DIY suggest you overboard with Plasterboard, minimal mess [especially in the Kitchen[ and fast.

Ken.

Sponsored Links
OP, you dont yet know if the damage is from steam below or a leak from above? if what you have is a leak then no amount of covering it up will solve the problem.

OP, you would do best if you posted pics of the situation showing the plasterboard and the joist?
do you have a flat roof?

Attached a pic. There was a previous leak from a leaking flat roof. Which has been sorted.
Had a plasterer come around who suggested just but a new bead o we it and skim over and the adjoining ceiling, any thoughts?
My thought is do I cut the existing bead out, replace with a plastic bead and try to skim it myself?

Or cut it out attach new bead and let plasterer re-skim

Or let plasterer out new bead over it and re-skim, (will the rust come through new bead and skim?)

Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_201508.jpg
    IMG_20200309_201508.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 286
  • IMG_20200309_201508.jpg
    IMG_20200309_201508.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 298
a pic with more context would have been more helpful - you only show a small detail?

1. you've got to be dead certain that the roof is sound otherwise your wasting your time?
2. previous repairs have been daubed on the p/board skimming
skim bead, not so called angle bead, is typically used on p/board.
3. if you only want to deal with the angle bead ie limit your repairs - then run a knife along the edges (the fins) of the bead to free it from skim and paint.
4. then angle the knife so it slightly lifts the fins on either side of the bead.
5. then use a junior hack saw to cut off whatever you intend to remove. look out for clout nail heads.
6. replace with skim bead

Yes sorry have attached wider view, the beam is solid concrete no plasterboard on the white side you can see, just the dark ceilin. Roof is 100 sound - was replaced last year following the previous roof leak hence the water damage repairs and be taking off the blown plaster.

Attachments

• IMG_20200309_211157.jpg
    IMG_20200309_211157.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 275
well it now changes the situation: i'm assuming that the dropped lintel carries back across a dropped ceiling (in black)
the white ceiling is the original house high ceiling.
then its a case of do you want to do a whole black p/board ceiling replacement now or a patch repair?
another question is: is it actually an "angle bead" or a stop bead?
a stop bead would stop at the outside corner of the lintel.

Yes this is my dilema
I've recently painted the grey ceiling but a plasterer has suggested skimming the ceiling as well as the old bead is bubbling the paint on the ceiling so it's an angle bead?
Ideally I want a permanent fix with minimal skimming but think I might have to bite the bullet for a proper job
So my original question is if I dont remove the original bead and place a new one over and get the whole thing skimmed including the lintel will the rust come through, or should I cut it out?

you have to remove the rusted bead no matter what.
dont double up on beads.

Yes that's what Im thinking - plasterer concerned me with that suggestion

So bit of an update as we are all locked up because of COVID19, the other half was out so I decided to take a look to see if the bead was rusting.

I've cut it out and indeed it was, it looks a right mess now bit I know it usually looks worse before it's better.

So I've uploaded some pics, the plasterboard undneath seems good and dry, there seems to be a dark patch which looks damp but feels dry.

So my next this is what to do next, would you get someone in to check for any leaks, I think the previous owners had a leak here from the bathroom above and wondering if this had caused the rusty bead in the first place.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200315195804767_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200315195759788_COVER.jpg
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200315195803036_COVER.jpg
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200315195809014_COVER.jpg
00000PORTRAIT_00000_BURST20200315195809014.jpg
any advice would be appreciated as ever. Also thinking should a put a few nails in the edge of the board is not really flush now I've removed the bead.

The big missing plaster was old blown plaster I removed

Attachments

• 00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200315195754379_COVER.jpg
    00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200315195754379_COVER.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 239
thanks for the new pics and info.

what i dont get is is this a lintel over a wall breakthrough or a lintel over a window recess in your kitchen?
the damage now shown probably indicates that you will have to cut back all signs of water damaged plaster board and solid plaster - dont leave any damaged stuff, be ruthless, & cut back well beyond any obvious signs.

i'm assuming that the flat roof comes up to the lintel(?) and the bathroom is directly above?
go in the b/room and search for leaks
and take and post pics of he flat roof if you would?

Last edited:
So this lintel is where the outside wall ends basically, it's a conservatory and kitchen extension.
So really there is nothing above the plasterboard ceiling, other than the flat room of course - which is basically new.

The bathroom is above the lintel but not the plasterboard side if that makes sense.

I was tempted to cut a hole in the plasterboard roof and look for leaks or anything there.

Or my other thought was of it was water coming down the outside wall above the lintel above the flat roof.

Maybe I need a damp inspector to come and have a look and find the cause of rh problem, if there is one

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back