Painting over Tape and joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've had my plasterboarded room taped and joint. I've got angle beads on all the corners. I have two questions:

1. The angle beads have the corner showing as metal. I'm going to be painting the wall with water based emulsion paint for new plaster. I don't think this paint will stick very well to the metal corner as it can easily peel and flake off if something brushes against it. Is there any kind of primer or undercoat I can apply to the metal first so that the emulsion will stick?
2. It's been recommended that I water down the paint for the first layer of paint because the paint will be thick and when Rolling it over easyfill it can end up damaging the easyfill. I was told to water it down for the first layer and once that has dried and sealed then do remaining coats normal. The paint I have got is Wickes paint for New Plaster. The instructions at the back says if you need to water it down that max should be 10% is this enough? Also when applying the watered down first layer, should I just apply that on the easyfill areas and not the bare plasterboard? And how long do you wait from first coat of watered down paint until the 2nd proper coat?

Sponsored Links
I've used similar paint from screwfix, no nonsense bare plaster paint. It's very good indeed and out of the tub is ready to go directly onto bare plaster be it skim, board, easifill or similar. It doesn't need watering down although if you want to stretch it a little more only add the recommended 10%.

Recoat time should say on tub usually around 4 hours. I'd give it 2 coats of white all over (fill and board) then 2 coats of your desired colour.

I've never pre prepped the angle bead corners and found emulsion sticks fine but a dab of primer or undercoat won't do any harm but keep it off the plaster.

I've used similar paint from screwfix, no nonsense bare plaster paint. It's very good indeed and out of the tub is ready to go directly onto bare plaster be it skim, board, easifill or similar. It doesn't need watering down although if you want to stretch it a little more only add the recommended 10%.

Recoat time should say on tub usually around 4 hours. I'd give it 2 coats of white all over (fill and board) then 2 coats of your desired colour.

I've never pre prepped the angle bead corners and found emulsion sticks fine but a dab of primer or undercoat won't do any harm but keep it off the plaster.

Thanks. The easyfill has been sanded down. It's very dusty now. What's the best way to wash down the walls without effecting the plastboards and the easyfill ?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back