Bubbling Paint driving me mad

OK, i guess it was your mention of "above a worktop" that got me thinking about window openings.
i think i've now got the idea of the layout.

your flat roof is butting up to the wall above the lintel.
flashing and roof detailing at that abutment are typical weak spots that are often found to be leaking.
hence the need for pics - and if you go on the flat roof then lift the flashing and pic what's exposed.
is the wall a cavity wall?
is any guttering above in good order?

dont go cutting open below the flat roof.

Sponsored Links
Just an update in case your bored due to everyone isolating lol
So a really good damp guy came today and spent a good while taking readings and looked at it and good job we investigated - loos like the roof is letting in water maybe from a failed seal where it was chased into the adjoining wall, and running down the lintel and across the ceiling, took back some of the ceiling and the plasterboard was saturated, and had mold forming.

Have contacted the roof company and are coming to look and hopefully resolve, so then can get back to some normality.

Pics attached, am going to cut it back square to help plasteeboarding a later stage, would you recommend retro fitting some insulation in the ceiling?

00001IMG_00001_BURST20200320114103.jpg
00001IMG_00001_BURST20200320114103.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200320_113947.jpg
    IMG_20200320_113947.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20200320_134323.jpg
    IMG_20200320_134323.jpg
    179 KB · Views: 54
Sponsored Links
OP, its your house but you did come here for advice.

fwiw:
i first mentioned a flat roof in my first post march 9th, but you insisted & continued to insist that it was "100 sound" with a new roof etc.
you still haven't posted pics of the flat roof or its abutment to the main building?
you've taken as sound what another poster on here said, a plasterer and a roofer - when all three were talking rubbish.

you now say you've since paid a Damp guy to tell you what you were already being told for free.
and you've now smashed out the ceiling p/b when you could have been advised how to do it properly & neatly, esp for leaving it ready for when the ceiling will be re-newed?

Last edited:
Hi Bob
Not at all I have been very appreciative of your advice, haven't disagree with it at all, really appreciate it.

Yes the damp survey guy was more of insurance in case the flat roof installer had any quibbles.

Well I take objection to you saying I've gone smashing it down lol I thought I was being neat lol In all seriousness I'm glad I have as that plasterboard was sodden, crumbled away, there were 2 layers of PB and the smell and water was quite shocking when the outer side of the cieling f looked relatively dry.

So next is the roofing installer, as it's under a year old is coming back next week to look at it.

I know it's a DIY forum but there's certain areas, like the flat room I don't want to mess about with, mainly because I've paid them to do it correctly already.

By rights they should be rectifying the inside ceiling as a result

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back