Bubbling toilet and sink drainage problem.

Sponsored Links
Some don't flush / clear the pan as well as others due to the shape of the throat/ shape of the trap. But its your pipework that's problematic ,the toilet backing up when basin waste runs in to it proves that.

Sponsored Links
What age is the property and has the Toilet been put in the same position as the old one? My thinking is the new toilet has a lower outlet than the old one, as Terry has suggested, there is now not an adequate fall on the soil pipe from the WC to the stack. Effectively they could be asking waste to flow uphill, which it isn't going to..... Only solution is to lower the soil pipe and branch, which isn't always the easiest of jobs, hence why they didn't do it in the first place, hoping the setup would work. It doesn't.

We've been in the house for 20years and bought it from new.

Not one toilet plumbing problem EVER until now . Perhaps we've just been lucky until now!

The fact that it hasn't been right since fitted makes me think that something is wrong with the set up. However I suppose the best hope that it is a simple blockage .......the soil pipe problem sounds rather complicated. If it is something like that , would you expect the plumbers who fitted the bathroom to put that right or should that be at our cost?

I should also add that yes, the toilet has been put in the same place. The sink has too. However we previously had separate ones whereas this is an all in one.

It is a Roper Rhodes Muse unit with a sketch toilet

image.jpg

Soil pipe issue is quite common with older properties, basically the new style 'Horizontal Outlet' pans, have a lower outlet than the older 'P' trap pans, so when it comes to replacement, the existing soil pipe, set for a P trap pan, is too high for the HO outlet pan. This often leads to bodge ups when people try and mate the 2, and defy the laws of gravity by asking water (and solids) to run uphill.

Changing the height of the soil pipe is at your expense, but any plumber worth their salt should explain the situation beforehand, and give you the option. Either lower the pipework as part of the job, (with the additional expense and mess that could cause), or fit to existing pipework, with you taking on board the risk it may not work properly.

Is the soil pipework above floor level ? I doubt it looking at the op' s first pic. Look at the plinth height on vanity unit , looks like 100 mm plinth ,how would it clear below the vanity unit ? Frediecider ,there is a small gap between vanity unit and bath at floor level ,can you peek thru there and see if there is a big plastic pipe please. If there is ,the fitters have dropped a clanger. I don't think there is a soil pipe there ,I think its below floor level ,and if it is Hugh jaleaks theory doesn't hold water ( if you'll forgive the pun )

Our fitters gave us a completion quote but left it to us to buy and source all the items. They gave us no guidance whatsoever so we weren't aware of any of the above that you've mentioned.

So 'if' it does end up being the issue, which sounds quite feasible to be honest judging by our minimal use of the bathroom since fitting, should we be expected to stump up the cost for the fix?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not trying to be awkward about it with the plumbers but do expect things to be fair.

In my eyes, we had a quote to fit a bathroom . It was very general , as in remove old suite, plaster ,tile and fit new suite. We sourced the items . Nothing was mentioned about potential extra costs of any regard at all. They fitted it. Now something doesn't work as it should and isn't currently functional. Surely they should have ensured that it would be ?

I'm trying to work out what would be a fair solution.

Your post may have crossed my previous one a moment before yours.please check ,and provide answer if poss.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hello.....

Yes the message did cross !

I'm not quite sure if the soil pipe work is above floor level. I 'think' I recall a large pipe going downwards into the floor with the old toilet but have to be honest and say I can't be certain.

I've taken pics of what I can. Unfortunately the gap doesn't give anything away as everything is sealed either side. I have added some pics though which may or may not be helpful.

Can I ask what 'clanger' you think they 'may' have made?

Thanks!

I can't make out the top left pic ,what is it ? Anyway ,think back to old set up. If the soil pipe ,which is 4 inch diameter was above floor level it would have been clearly visible to you running left to right from w c to bath ,you could not miss it !!! I think it would have came out the back of WC and down thru the floor ,as you just hinted you thought it did. This is a very ,very important point. If it did run down into floor then the fitters would not have needed to give a second thought to connecting new WC into it. However ,if it was / is above floor level it MAY not have sufficient fall.

The pic showing gap between bath and cabinet ,appears to give a clear view of floor meeting wall tiles ,and no sign of a four inch pipe ??? Is that so ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back