Budget Garden Makeover - Suggestions please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to sort out my parent's garden in time for summer but struggling to get this done. I know this would be great for my mother's mental health and she will love to get back in the garden.

I've found a few local tradespersons on Facebook but all give different quotes and 50% deposit upfront for materials. They don't respond when I ask for Labour cost only. The ones that seem good are just too busy.

I'd like something simple such as sleepers for edging and gravel in the middle. Any other ideas or how this can be done?

Pic attached.

The biggest issue I will have is the lack of access for a digger.

Thank you for all your suggestions and advice.

EDIT -

The problems with the existing garden include: uneven slabs, no edging whatsoever, the turf is uneven and full of weeds.

Attachments

• PXL_20220123_115917776.jpg
    PXL_20220123_115917776.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 99
Sponsored Links
I would suggest you do a proper plan drawing of what you want where, what if anything is to be removed, weed membrane, sleepers etc.

I assume tradesmen will want to make something on materials or use their own suppliers who they trust and can meet the timescales for delivery etc. Which is why they are reluctant to quote labour only.

If they use materials supplied by you they may not warranty any work.

You really need to find a landscaping company through personal recommendations of friends etc.

Sponsored Links
You say budget, it wouldn't take much to cheer the place up a bit. Tidy up, cut the grass. Level the lawn if it's bumpy. If the back corner is a sun trap, put a bench down there, somewhere to sit and have a cup of tea. Slightly meandering path to the bench, maybe stepping stone slabs.
Plant some shrubs, maybe fruit bushes, get them cheap this time of year bare root. Small tree even?
Stick a few pots on the patio with flowers or nice smelling herbs.

etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back