Bugs in new build? PICS

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've recently moved into a new apartment block and keep seeing these little bugs, mostly on the window sills and in the bathroom.

Wondered if they're anything to do with plasterboard or something like that.

The bugs are between 1mm and 2mm, with the smaller ones being lighter in colour. Anyone know what they are or come across them before?

Here are some pics:

bug-1.jpg

bug-2.jpg

Oh, and I sometimes find them on my pillows! They give me the creeps!

Thanks,

Lisa.

Sponsored Links
I wish I knew! I've had them in both my previous 2 flats - and both were new builds. As you said, they were mainly in the bathroom and on window sills.

I also assumed they might be something to do with plasterboard as I can't imagine where else they could have came from when the buildings were so new.

I've recently moved into a 1930's house and didn't see them anywhere for 6 months, until we had some new plasterboard walls put up and some new wooden window sills put in. Then they appeared...

Hope someone can post an answer as I'd love to know...

Now that's reassuring to know someone else had the same problem :LOL:

I also lived in a old terraced house before and never had them there.

Lisa

Sponsored Links
oooooh dear!

they look like termites to me. :eek: :eek: :eek:

say goodbye to the wood in your home.

Termites_620.JPG

I've surveyed a few new builds which were infested with Plaster Beetles. These remain in the property untill it is properly dried out. They live on small moulds which grow on damp areas (like plaster). Despite treatment, they can stay for months and months

The properties I have seen had hundreds of the little blighters, black or dark colour and about 1-2mm long. Masses of them congregated in dark cooler parts of rooms and cupboards, even behind pictures on the walls!

The buildings had something in common in that they were constructed over the winter period, and I suspect materials were not kept as dry as thy should have been.

Do a google, but search UK sites not American ones

I don't think that they are classed as a health risk, and my recollection of the NHBC response was basically "We're not intrested"

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back