Building Steps up to new front door.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys got a job on just now which is requiring approx 15 new steps up to a new front door.
There is a landing at both top and bottom.
I’ve been asked if I can now shutter the steps and landings and cast them in situ whilst the strip foundation for a retaining wall is being poured.

Just wondering what your guys thoughts were on how viable an option this is. And what kind of prep work would have to go into under the shuttering. Would I have to dig right down to the new found level or could I step the concrete? There are also two 100mm flanking walls running up either side of the new staircase which I will need to dig out and lay a foundation for.

I’ve attached some pics the new front door is coming in right where the smaller window is at the front.

Attachments

• BE239014-F7DD-4B57-B1B5-1FC964C28ED9.jpeg
    BE239014-F7DD-4B57-B1B5-1FC964C28ED9.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 302
  • E0EE3557-E114-4C30-9569-19090B2DA5B4.jpeg
    E0EE3557-E114-4C30-9569-19090B2DA5B4.jpeg
    249.7 KB · Views: 250
  • 32D1F6A6-C01C-468E-9897-112251CF68AB.jpeg
    32D1F6A6-C01C-468E-9897-112251CF68AB.jpeg
    522.8 KB · Views: 282
  • 5A20E425-6B12-4F05-96DF-340AF97A5E28.jpeg
    5A20E425-6B12-4F05-96DF-340AF97A5E28.jpeg
    530.1 KB · Views: 272
Sponsored Links
Cheers woody

Do you think shuttering and pouring concrete steps after the 2 sides are up to height would be ok? And would you dig the full 1800 of the new stairway right out?
The sides need to be built first.

It will be easier to use a precast flight(as drawing specifies) and rest it on block wall at back near door.
If shuttering i would have thought best way would be excavate at a slope,build wing walls and concrete up slope using mesh like a slide,with rebar set in to attach new treads, then shutter and concrete.
Done one set of steps a while ago using concrete lintels laid on semi dry concrete, all laid in one day by two men,using sloped concrete as above, looked ok and solid.
PS you can buy steps 1800mm wide(better finish) about £75 each
W0308STE0010_0.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Cheers Charlie I did read the drawing it is the person wanting the job done was asking me if I could do it with the shuttering I think the idea being to save some cash.

I know what you mean about it being easier with the pre cast steps.

if you were to do it like that do you mean you would build block walls for the steps to sit on along side the flank walls?

Forgot to mention the steps are getting covered with a slab/tile so finish isnt important.

Cheers for the reply

The precast stairs landing would sit on new wall under window and not on wing walls,why not build it all in concrete block laid flat same time as wing walls,dig the lot out and concrete same level as footing for walls,use mixture of block and concrete brick to suit height/width needed, then tile.

Cheers woody

Do you think shuttering and pouring concrete steps after the 2 sides are up to height would be ok? And would you dig the full 1800 of the new stairway right out?
If the ground is firm and not made up then the side wall foundation could potentially be stepped.

As for shuttering, that's fine in principle, but the practicalities, quality and finish possible may mean it's not the best option unless another finish layer of bricks or slabs is to go on top.

I would dig out for the side and the step foundations, concrete all those at the same time (ad-hoc shutters as necessary) and then build the walls and steps at the same time in bricks and then lay some slab steps.

Thanks aye going to look at working out the total going and build it with A mixture brick and block seems to me to be the most practical option now I’ve asked about. I’ll have to get the gas pipe shifted before We start digging anything

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back