Bugs!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lifted up a chopping board from a kitchen work surface the other day and the underside was swarming with minute insects, probably about the same size as the dot on an i, if not smaller. It appears as if they may have dropped from a cupboard above but they were not in the cupboard itself but congregating on the inside bottom corner of the door. We wiped everything down but they keep appearing in the same places. Does anyone know what these might be and is there something like a spray that would get rid of them?

Sponsored Links
To my horror, I witnessed something similar in my place years ago.....these mites, or whatever they where, had hatched from within a bag of pulses in that cupboard......destroying everything in that cupboard sorted that, and I've been vigilant since.
The bugs are there to feed - that has to be the common denominator.
John :)

They are possibliy flour mites or something very similiar and as John has pointed out they normally arrive in foodstuffs, very commonly flour hence the name. One piece of advice given is to freeze flour , pasta and similiar dry goods for a couple of days as this will kill the bugs and their eggs It can then be stored normally after defrosting. For cleaning down shelves where food is stored if you don't like using disinfectants then orange juice is supposed to be good.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back