I need your creative ideas - how can I fill this hole around a pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I’ve discovered mouse droppings under my kitchen cupboards. I’m pretty sure they’re contained behind the kickboards as there’s no gaps and we’ve seen nothing else in the house.

I’m almost certain they must be coming in from a hole in the floor around a waste pipe that runs from the upstairs bathroom, down behind the kitchen cupboard.

Along with a trap, I want to fill this hole to stop entry.

The dilemma is this: the pipe enters the floor towards the back corner of the room under the cupboards. I can’t easily get to it.

A5CFE331-9CA8-443C-9A95-2C00077A5A5F.jpeg D94485D5-0646-4B39-B426-D4F8A8145FA5.jpeg AC3D29E2-CC16-4ACC-A04F-ECB1A58CAB17.jpeg E47B9489-C92D-4C64-8D12-ED77A5ACBD3B.jpeg

My first thought was expanding foam but I don’t think I can get a can under there, invert it, and accurately spray all around it. Even if I could get some foam sprayed around the front, I don’t know how I’d get it round the back of the pipe, see what I’m doing, and also ensure there’s absolutely no gaps.

I am trying to think of other materials that I could reach behind the pipe and pack the hole around it with.

The hole is deep enough that I can’t fill it from the bottom. I need something that will stick around the top of the hole, around the pipe and leave no tiny gaps (as the bastards can obviously squeeze through anything).

Photos attached although it looks like they went in upside down for some reason.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You have a 110mm black soil pipe (from WC?) - and a 40mm waste pipe (from sink?) connected to the soil pipe going past the suspended floor into the solid floor?
There's also some cables and a 22mm copper pipe going into the same hole.
Where are they going to?

The pic shows an elec cable wrapped in red elec tape - thats unsafe, cable terminations should be secured in purpose devices.
The 40mm waste might be leaking at the transition fittings?

Foam is useless - the vermin will eat through it.

Why not stand back & take a pic showing the corner units and work top?

Hi bobasd. Yes, you are correct about everything you’ve said. We had our kitchen redone last year and this is the first time I’ve really had to look at this part behind the kickboards.

The builder and his crew were f-ing useless (clearly) but the pipes were always there, as far as I know, from the original 1970 build and is the same in the other houses around here. The soil pipe is from the upstairs toilet and the sink/dishwasher waste always fed into it.

I have no idea where the copper pipe goes or what it’s for, but my guess would be up to the bathroom for hot water. I don’t know where it goes downwards.

The electrical cable I assume comes from under the floorboards around the soil pipe hole but again I don’t know what it was for. It was definitely left in that state with red tape by the builders, I imagine.

I have seen the potential leak but I also found a plastic bag under there with some old waste water in and a rubber band. Part of me wonders if they literally tried to fix a leak with a bag and a rubber band, but I am unsure if they just left it there and I spilled the water when I dragged it out. I’ll leave it to dry and see if it’s still wet in a day or two. There were no signs of wood rot that I could see.

FBB0284B-4EFC-4AF0-A6E0-02760D3102A2.jpeg

As for the mice, I was going to stuff around the hole with masses of wire wool then expanding foam around on top to stick it to the edges and the pipe.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
i'm confused with the new pic not matching what i visualised from the previous pics.
I was looking to see that run of units, appliances etc. and the work top?
And then seeing if you could release & slide out the corner unit for access to the hole - but now i dont know where i am in your kitchen.
Perhaps if you righted the original pics it would help?

The work in the earlier pics looks DIY standard, if that.
You were obviously issued no elec cert but what about gas, did they do any gas work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back