Build a ladder - worth it?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm after a ladder to access the loft space in my garage - it's too high to use my step-ladder.

This seems the best value option I can see at just under £60: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lyte-2-Section-Domestic-Extension-Ladder/dp/B00CD3RU8W

I'm always wondering what projects I could take on as a bit of fun and experience and wondered if building my own ladder could be worthwhile. Would materials to do this cost nearly as much though, to make something far worse?

PS: are these telescopic ladders much cop? They look a bit spindly to me!

ae235

Sponsored Links
I have one of those ladders, they have their uses, but are a bit flexible. Also they aren't good for less than full extension as you end up with a long step up to the first usable rung. But it's hard to beat them for portability.

Can you build your own ?
Well you can, but as you say you could find yourself paying a fair bit for materials if you want to do it right. On the other hand, you can make one that exactly suits your needs - eg length etc.

I can't say I have a burning desire to build my own ladder nor buy the cheapest I can find. I spent quite a lot of money on my ladder, mainly because I didn't want the last thought through my mind to be "I wish I'd bought a better ladder".

Sponsored Links
Do you have the space to use a standard retractable loft ladder? You might be able to adapt one to your particular needs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back