Build drawers in eaves - flooring, ventilation, insulation!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I am planning on building drawers into the eaves, the property is a chalet bungalow. The goal is to floor the eaves and basically set a chest of drawers in (supporting them on the sides and bottom) and finished off with a trim around the outside. The large hole will be where the chest of drawers is going and the smaller hole will have a door. At the smaller hole, I would like to floor and box it all off to the rest of the eaves. I have a few questions on insulation and ventilation, and any advice on which materials to use would be much appreciated.

To the left of the small hole is a bare block wall, can I just screw some wood (ply or chipboard?) straight onto the wall to box it all in? Or do I need to leave an air gap between any wood and the surface for ventilation purposes?

I would then like to box off the section that is going to house the drawers, to insure no moisture etc can get into the drawers and make the clothes go moldy etc. Can I attach wood to the beams running down the roof (im guessing no) or do I need to leave a gap again for ventilation, If so, what size of gap do I need to leave? Either way, I was planning on creating a cavity of maybe 6 or 7 inches and filling it with insulation so no heat escapes through the drawers?

On a side note, we recently had the loft insulated but they only put the yellow insulation down where you can see in the pictures, they did not put it between the rafters on the roof - should I insulate this part? I assume this is the correct way to do it to keep good air flow?

IMG_20161023_160314.jpg

IMG_20161029_140955.jpg

IMG_20161029_141006.jpg

IMG_20161029_141018.jpg

Any input would be much appreciated. I apologize for the incorrect terminology throughout the post, this is my first house and every day is a school day!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
That space is effectively outside space, hence the room under is insulated from it. You new to move it to the rafters instead. And watch for condensation rather then damp as such

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back