Builder carrying out electrical work - Badly!

As I said, my experience with adding or modifying existing domestic installations is slim, and rarely have I come across a socket and pattress that can easily accommodate four conductors.
Fair enough. My experience of doing it is also pretty limited but, as I said, on the occasions I've done it, it has not been a problem in terms of the capacity of the terminals. However, I probably wouldn't even try it with a 'shallow' back box!

As you will have seen from my subsequent comments, the usual reason for people saying that one shouldn't have two spurs from one socket is not about space or terminal capacity but, rather, is in relation to having a large load 'at one point' on a ring circuit. However, as I said, the same people often don't have a problem with spurs from each of two sockets which are a couple of inches apart on the ring!
But you'd be amazed where I can make three 4-core 240mm² cables fit where they shouldn't be able to fit at 3am in the morning... So maybe I'm just a bit soft when it comes to a plastic socket! :LOL:
There you go ... I doubt that many here would be comfortable doing anything with a 240mm² conductor, even at midday! Horses for courses!

Kind Regards, Joh

Sponsored Links
There you go ... I doubt that many here would be comfortable doing anything with a 240mm² conductor, even at midday! Horses for courses!

I used to manage those and much bigger, like many things it is a knack, just like manoeuvring the drums. I doubt I could do it now though.

I used to manage those and much bigger, like many things it is a knack, just like manoeuvring the drums. I doubt I could do it now though.
As I said, 'horses for courses'. Most things become fairly easy when one is familiar with / experienced at doing them!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Fair enough. My experience of doing it is also pretty limited but, as I said, on the occasions I've done it, it has not been a problem in terms of the capacity of the terminals. However, I probably wouldn't even try it with a 'shallow' back box!

As you will have seen from my subsequent comments, the usual reason for people saying that one shouldn't have two spurs from one socket is not about space or terminal capacity but, rather, is in relation to having a large load 'at one point' on a ring circuit. However, as I said, the same people often don't have a problem with spurs from each of two sockets which are a couple of inches apart on the ring!

Kind Regards, Joh

Absolutely fully in agreement with you.

I live by the motto "horses for courses!" (y)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back