Builder has tiled straight onto 18mm chipboard!!! HELP!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

our builder has tiled straight onto the chipboard, and I know that he would of more than likely just used annualar nails to put these down. End result - we now have cracking grout and suspect it wont be long until we have tiles start coming up.

I know that you are supposed to put plyboard down - I done it in my last house, but what I am looking for is some definitive source of "recommended practice" for the trade to say about not laying tiles this way by next Wednesday (NHBC coming round (again!!))

We have 1 Bathroom and 2 en-suites that has has done this in (one en-suite floor has dropped by over 10mm :eek: in the doorway between it and the bedroom) and I dont fancy ripping them all up and doing it again myself properly

I have also found out that the toilets are just Mastiked to the tiles with no screws securing them down. This means that I will have a hell of a job removing the toilet and would more than likely end up breaking it trying to get it up!!! Again, any pointers on this would also be appreciated.

Cheers

Lawrenso

Sponsored Links
lawrenso
regarding building regs they can tile legally on chipboard substrate it doesnt mean its Professionally right ....

same with the toilet bowls no regs regarding screwing it down as a Pro lad would do either ..

Sorry , Your stuffed really .... :(

I can only recommend you contact local press /TV (maybe your pregnant wife falls off that dodgy fixed toilet bowl ,an through bad floor in bathroom ! That will be in the Nat Press , teehee )

otherwise kick up a stink an hope Cowboy builder does sort the probs out as goodwill gesture ...;)

hope this helps ...:)

It may be worth contacting the tile association and ask them to advise.

There are British standards that cover floor tiling such as BS 5385 part 3, BS 8000 part 11, you would need to prove that the builder did not comply with these standards.

Jason

jase FFS ... dont feed him false hope ...

YOU KNOW ......in the real world those regs can be talked about all over ...

I KNOW .....

YOU KNOW ......they can an do everything to cut corners , DONT EVER RELY ON BIG trade associations with a long law suit , they back the builders ...FACT ..

they FEAR ...NHBC...
but they dont regulate their builders .. correctly as assessors takes bungs/money etc

its not rocket science
people buy
SH^TE HOMES
everyone who built it very rich ...FACT

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies - Thanks to JasonB for giving me those pointers to the BS's, and to Moz for trying to keep my feet on the floor.

The builder is a small local builder - not a large national builder. Luckily he has done everything in his name so if it comes to it it will be off to court to "have my day"!!!!

I know what Moz means about the NHBC and I am only as such having the NHBC in again to go through the process before arbitration/litigation.

I have spoken to a number of adhesive suppliers and got printouts of data sheets. Only one has said that it would be passable to lay on chipboard but only if the floor has been well braced and screwed at max 300 centres, which I know the builder hasn't.

Also, I was not born yesterday and recorded the last meeting with NHBC and the builder and will be doing the same next week :)

but keep the ideas coming!!!

PS - Also got a full copy of the NHBC's technical manual!!!

Cheers

Lawrenso

Probably goes without saying but...I wouldn't get him in again if I were you!
I don't know why people think they can get away with such shoddy work, you won't employ him again and are hardly gonna recommend him to anyone else. Nobody wins :evil:

Oh the builder wins. When future clients ask him for refs, he's not going to give out details of botched jobs. If all his jobs are botched, he'll just get mates to pretend to be past clients.

Perhaps he's FMB registered? They'll probably be useless since they're paid for by the builders.

Of course, you can always take out an ad in the local press with his picture in and his duff work. What's he gonna do? Sue you?

Depends on the floor.

New house with flexly addy, maybe.

Old house, defo not.

But if your floor has dropped 10mm, how can it be the tilers fault, unless he layed the floor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back