Builders Adding To Lighting Circuit - Doesn't look right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The electricians working on the extension have added to the existing lighting circuit, I'd love people opinion on it.....

Sponsored Links
It looks as if they are using an old ceiling rose as a junction box(jb).
Personally I would prefer to use a proper jb or a chocbox and with connector blocks and put it under the metal down light insulation cover on the right so that it is accessible.

It looks as if they are using an old ceiling rose as a junction box(jb). Personally I would prefer to use a proper jb or a chocbox and with connector blocks and put it under the metal down light insulation cover on the right so that it is accessible.
Indeed and, in terms of the OP's interest, it's not hard to cite ways in which it is non-compliant with regulations - exposed single-insulated conductors, no cable restraints, openable without a tool (I think the dispensation for roses probably doesn't extend to its use as a JB!), probably inaccessible etc.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I hope that this (lighting) circuit is protected by an RCD. Its will now need to be if the installation is to comply with the latest regs.

Oh, and as stated above, that use of a ceiling rose has about 5 different contraventions of teh wiring regulations.

The person who did this, is he an electrician, or a brickie? ;)

The electricians working on the extension have added to the existing lighting circuit, I'd love people opinion on it.....
My opinion as it stands, is if it is live. Then sack the electrician.
If it is not live, request that the jointing of the cable is improved and fitted in a safe enclosure, in compliance to BS7671.
Also any cable buried within the walls, is very likely to require RCD protection, if this does not already exist.

I think we have all been caught out from time to time not having the right stuff to hand and as a temporary until we can pick up the correct bits have done some non compliant work to be able to restore power.

There have many discussions as to temporary and yes in theory there should be no difference in a temporary to permanent work other than making it easy to remove. However in the real world we know sometimes there is really no option.

Clearly you would not want the guy to go home and leave you with no lights.

However the problem is when the temporary is not corrected. I have to admit I have been caught out where a temporary has been done and I have not been able to return to correct it. Clearly doing something which is wrong to maintain lights is a problem when the boss says leave that job this one is more important as one can hardly admit to the boss one has done a temporary botch up.

I think we have all been caught out from time to time not having the right stuff to hand and as a temporary until we can pick up the correct bits have done some non compliant work to be able to restore power.
It's hard to justify someone who has taken on the job of doing the electrics in an extension to an occupied house not having a few JBs (traditional or MF) in the van to use in the situation pictured.

It's hard to justify someone who has taken on the job of doing the electrics in an extension to an occupied house not having a few JBs (traditional or MF) in the van to use in the situation pictured.
So says Mr Perfect :rolleyes:
Mark - if it is a temporary job, for example to allow light to the extension etc for work or just so your lights remain on then okay - if it is the final product then no - get him back to do the job properly.
That means a fully enclosed jb in the loft (put under the metal down light insulation cover - will give accessibility) or those cables are run back into a fitted ceiling rose below.

Mark - if it is a temporary job ...
If it were a genuine temporary job, simply because the electrician did not have a suitable JB to hand then, despite all the non-compliances, I don't think any of us would be moaning very much. In an immediate sense, there's nothing unsafe, and we've all been 'caught out' and hence have 'been there' in our time.

However, unless I've missed it, and although others have mentioned the possibility, the OP has given us no reason to believe that what we've been shown is 'temporary'.

Kind Regards, John

Mark - if it is a temporary job ...
If it were a genuine temporary job, simply because the electrician did not have a suitable JB to hand then, despite all the non-compliances, I don't think any of us would be moaning very much. In an immediate sense, there's nothing unsafe, and we've all been 'caught out' and hence have 'been there' in our time.
Except of course, Mr Perfect.

However, unless I've missed it, and although others have mentioned the possibility, the OP has given us no reason to believe that what we've been shown is 'temporary'.
Hence the if!

Hence the if!
Fair enough. The OP can hopefully clarify - but I frankly doubt that he would have bothered to post the photo and question if he had known that it was a short-term temporary measure. Mind you, following this thread, he might well have words with the 'electrician', thereby turning what the 'electrician' intended as a permanent job into a temporary one :)

Kind Regards, John

We are talking here about a professional electrician who doesn't carry even a small number of basic accessories.
... or one who does carry a small (maybe even large) number of basic accessories but has had a very busy day and has used up all his stock of the accessory concerned.

However, as I've said, that is only an excuse if this were intended as a very short-term temporary measure - and, as I've recently written, I don't think the OP would have bothered to post the question if he knew that the 'electrician' regarded it as only a temporary measure.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back