Builders Adding To Lighting Circuit - Doesn't look right

Sponsored Links
As a sole trader what one carries and how long one works is up to ones self to decide however many electricians are not sole traders and are provided with a van, selected stock, and have strict hours of work.

I have argued many times about what are the rules when one runs out of hours. Things go wrong and a job which should have been completed is still not done where the permitted working hours are reached and to continue working would be breaking the law so you will not get paid and should you have an accident you will not be insured.

One can't really class a house as a continuous process so the correct method would be leave the power locked off and tell the residents sorry you need to find a hotel for the night.

What ever one does one will be breaking some rule.

In a perfect world we will never work alone. However this is not a perfect world the government does allow sole trading and we have to accept from time to time we will need to cut corners.

I think it is always better to give workers a get out route. "Have you forgotten the temporary job up there" is better than "You can't leave it like that" get a rat in a corner and it will fight, but herd them to an exit and they will not bit you. Where one can you should always give the guy a way out.

I think if that were a temporary job, it would be connected in connector blocks with tape round them, as messing about with a ceiling rose is a bit fiddly.

If someone was to (wrongly) use a ceiling rose for that purpose permanently, I would expect to see it screwed down, some cable clips to prevent strain on the cables, and wouldn't expect to see all those exposed cores.

Don't see that joint necessarily has to be accessible when the light is dropped down in the room below. I would only expect to see the joint for that particular light, and that joint shown is not necessarily that. I imagine the joint shown is just the old loop in ceiling rose wiring, and new wiring comes from this to the new spotlights.

I think if that were a temporary job, it would be connected in connector blocks with tape round them, as messing about with a ceiling rose is a bit fiddly. ...
Quite. As I keep saying, I seriously doubt that it was intended to be temporary.
If someone was to (wrongly) use a ceiling rose for that purpose permanently, I would expect to see it screwed down, some cable clips to prevent strain on the cables, and wouldn't expect to see all those exposed cores.
Indeed - and, even then, one could probably find some non-compliances (able to open without a tool?).
Don't see that joint necessarily has to be accessible when the light is dropped down in the room below....
I'm not sure what your point is here. The rose clearly contains screwed joints, which (assuming that at least some of the joints have been created during the recent work), in order to be compliant, would have to be accessible from somewhere - if not through the light's hole, what means of access did you have in mind?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Well surely it is accessible, as someone got there to take the photograph.
Good point! I don't think the fact that someone was able to take a photo is that convincing, because (in other circumstances) that could have been before the floorboards were nailed down - but it does rather look as if it is in a (accessible) roofspace!

Kind Regards, John.

Moderator 8 said:
Yes, so do NOT use it. Any posts containing this, or any other foul or abusive language will be removed in their entirety.
Is it really?

Foul and abusive, eh?

Care to tell us what it means? A dictionary reference might be useful, as I can't find it in any of mine.

So says Mr Perfect :rolleyes:
Please don't be sarcastic - I find it foul and abusive, and although I realise it's one rule for me, and one rule for everybody else, and that the moderators, particularly #8. will take sides and allow me to be abused without limit, I will not sit by and accept it.

We are talking here about a professional electrician - can you not get that into your head?

I went to a job today and didn't have a single surface box on my van stock. Must have used them all up somewhere else.

I'm off to hand my self in at the local police station, as I now realise what a serious crime it is to not have a perfectly stocked van all day every day :rolleyes:

We are talking here about a professional electrician

I'm a professional electrician (and installer). I've even got a t-shirt that says so. :)

Moderator 8 said:
Please note rule 1 (Abusive or unhelpful posts are not welcome.) - See here for the forum rules.
Really?

I find riveralt's and RF's sarcasm abusive and unhelpful - will you please do something about it.

I'm glad you find it funny.

I don't suppose you'd be able to scrape together enough brain cells to put forward a rational explanation of why those 4 characters were foul and abusive, would you?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back