Builders Aghh

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear all,
This is the scenario: Having an extension done and accepted a £26000 price from a builder. Work has been progressing, and the main structure of the extension is up, and is watertight. This has cost £22000 so far, including floor joists. The other week they came to lay the floor, after going to another job for about 3 weeks to allow me to complete plumbing etc. I was staggered when they sent me a bill for 1 days work for £2000. (I priced up materials to be £200 MAX) As yet I have not paid, since still to complete is:

All the plastering, and in the ceiling insulation.
To build a studwork toilet.
Window for the toilet.
Drainage including new manhole.

Considering in my opinion £4000 for work left, If I pay £2000, that leaves
£2000 for all the above.

What should I do?
Thanks for your suggestions

Sponsored Links
You should always keep back money from a project untill completion and then if its big enough for a few months after. Did you get a written quote?
Personally i pay in reverse.. if the project is 10k and there is 3k's worth of work left to do, i will pay about 7k (or just under to be causious).
If you work out the cost to you to get another builder in to finish the job, if thats more than 4k then dont pay a penny. In the end most builders should be more than willing to talk cost, make sure they know what and when you are going to pay, and get it in writting.
If you have changed the original plans for the extension or there have been unforseen problems then they may have cause to ask for variation costs, if thats so they should give you a variation estimate and get it agreed before doing the works.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back