Builders done a runner - advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I was having some building work done and my builders have run off without completing the job.

I also made the mistake of overpaying them. They came recommended from several extended family members whom the builders had previously done work for. I ended up overpaying because i trusted them.

The builders are now not answering our calls and take days to respond to texts or emails, even then it took several messages and the threat of legal again to get a response.

The builders stopped working over a month ago now. They promised they would return to work no later than 16th Aug and failed to turn up and reply to our messages.

I now want to appoint another contractor to complete the job and give the current builders formal notice that i no longer want them to complete the job due to breach of contract and that they keep messing us around.

The builders are not members of any professional bodies but i did have a contract with them.

Can anyone advise how i should deal with this situation.

I am not bothered about the overpayment because based on the feedback I have had from other builders whom have inspected the work done to date, it appears the builders ran because they under quoted the job. i would love to try and take the builders to court but can't help but feel this will be a lengthy and stressful process with no guarantee of the end result. I just want to get the job finished now and cut my losses.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Write and give them the opportunity to complete the contract. Tell them if you don't hear from them in 7 days you will employ a builder to finish the work and send them the bill for any additional costs arising out of the need to arrange a new contract. Whether you do that or not can be decided later. But don't just let them off the hook now - keep them stewing.

Hi,

The builders stopped working over a month ago now. They promised they would return to work no later than 16th Aug .

If they return before the 16th of August, then there's no problem.
However, I have a sneaky suspicion you actually meant the 16th of July. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Sorry yes, 16th July not August! Doh

Friday 18th june was the last day they came. After several failed attempts to get them to return to work/communicate, I then sent them a letter on the 30th june saying they were in breach of contract and that unless they replied within 7 days and agreed a start date I would be taking legal action. They replied and said they would return no later than the 16th. They didn't turn up on the 16th July and have not responded to any messages since.

OK, you gave them the opportunity to complete the contract, they failed to do so - you now have no further obligation to them. If you get someone else in and the original builders do turn up, then you can simply say they failed to turn up as arranged and are no longer employer by you.

Whether you decide to try and recover any additional costs from them is a separate issue, but you are free to get someone else in now.

Thanks.

Would it still be worth sending them another letter stating this officially?

I.e. you have failed to return to work at the agreed date 16th july and are you no longer the appointed contractors nor permitted on the property and all locks have been changed (as they had keys)....

Hi,

I was having some building work done and my builders have run off without completing the job.

I also made the mistake of overpaying them. They came recommended from several extended family members whom the builders had previously done work for. I ended up overpaying because i trusted them.

The builders are now not answering our calls and take days to respond to texts or emails, even then it took several messages and the threat of legal again to get a response.

The builders stopped working over a month ago now. They promised they would return to work no later than 16th Aug and failed to turn up and reply to our messages.

I now want to appoint another contractor to complete the job and give the current builders formal notice that i no longer want them to complete the job due to breach of contract and that they keep messing us around.

The builders are not members of any professional bodies but i did have a contract with them.

Can anyone advise how i should deal with this situation.

I am not bothered about the overpayment because based on the feedback I have had from other builders whom have inspected the work done to date, it appears the builders ran because they under quoted the job. i would love to try and take the builders to court but can't help but feel this will be a lengthy and stressful process with no guarantee of the end result. I just want to get the job finished now and cut my losses.

Any advise would be much appreciated.

Get your dugga and thillee and play a lumbi chaal on the builders head?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back