Building a BBQ

PE

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
Next project is a brick/masonry BBQ, preferably one of the ones with a chimney.

Any tips on what to construct with (regular bricks OK for BBQ?). Any links to sites that show how to do this?

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
It sounds like its a large scale one so before you build it I would think about its location.
Your neighbours probably would like to sit out in their garden or have their washing out on hot days without having your smoke drifting over.

To be honest unless you're going to invite your neighbours to your BBQs its a bit anti-social.

JamesA said:
It sounds like its a large scale one so before you build it I would think about its location.
Your neighbours probably would like to sit out in their garden or have their washing out on hot days without having your smoke drifting over.

To be honest unless you're going to invite your neighbours to your BBQs its a bit anti-social.

Thanks for the neighbourly advice but we back onto woods and its at the end of the garden, so anyone any advice from the original question please

Thanks

Sounds like a good project, i would love to do one of these. I have seen that some places like B&Q do kits for building the kind of BBQ you are after which contain everything you need, excluding the bricks. To be honest i'm not sure if normal house bricks would do (our old BBQ was built of these so i expect so). There was a series on SKY not so long back called "Flaming BBQ's" where a designer and builder built all kinds of BBQ's and i think he has just released a book on the how to's. May be worth a look.

Sponsored Links
Tom JE said:
Sounds like a good project, i would love to do one of these. I have seen that some places like B&Q do kits for building the kind of BBQ you are after which contain everything you need, excluding the bricks. To be honest i'm not sure if normal house bricks would do (our old BBQ was built of these so i expect so). There was a series on SKY not so long back called "Flaming BBQ's" where a designer and builder built all kinds of BBQ's and i think he has just released a book on the how to's. May be worth a look.

Thanks Tom - will do a search on that sounds good

Yes the grills and charcoal tray you can buy the kits (including one with an oven type tray underneath!) - its more the actual main structure I am unsure of

Thanks again for the reply

You'll probably want exactly the same bricks as your house as it won't look right if the colours don't match.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back