Stone BBQ Danger

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a load of stone that I want to build a bbq out of but I remember as a kids we foolishly used to light fires in the woods and throw stones on and and after a while they would explode in a big way.

Has anyone build a BBQ from stone and had problems. Don't really want to use brick as all my walls are stone and the patio is stone.

Is there maybe a stone that I could use instead of the limestone I have that will not explode. Or is the temperture too low any way to worry. I think it is something to do with the moisture in the rock.

Worried it could be dangerous.

many thanks. :D

olas

Sponsored Links
build it out of brick. then using thin stones, skin the outside with them.

You may have issues with air/water gaps getting hot and popping though.

cheers,

Ideally I don't want to use brick but that may have to be the solutions. Been doing a bit of reasearch to see if I can use not porus stone as I don;t think this will have the same problems. Cheers anyway.

oals

how about an igneous stone, rather than a sedimentary, i.e. granite?

Sponsored Links
simplest solution, build a fire, stick a lump of your stone onto it and see if it explodes..

what stones did you throw on as a kid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back