Building a concrete step

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I have a relatively small project but one I need to get right. The back of my garage I have my fridge freezer, washing machine and dryer. Our garage has been known to flood and ruin the appliances and so I am going to build a concrete step for the 3 appliances to sit on.

The step will be 250cm wide, 110cm deep and about 20cm high. The plan is to place a wooden sleeper the width of the step and then fill in with hardcore. I will then buy pre mixed concrete to pour on top of the hardcore.

My questions are, do I fill the step to the top with hardcore? How much concrete will I need? Will is sink through the hardcore or just lay on top? Obviously if it sinks through then I’m going to need quite a lot of concrete.

Sponsored Links
I would build a base using a sheet of 25mm WBP ply screwed into 3" fence posts laid flat.

If you want to go the hardcore /concrete route then minimum 100mm concrete. Ram down the hardcore with a sledgehammer. The concrete will stay on top.

Sponsored Links
I'd be going for council slabs on brick/blick piers. Slabs free and about £20 for the other bits. And any flooding will pass under it.

I'd be going for council slabs on brick/blick piers. Slabs free and about £20 for the other bits. And any flooding will pass under it.
Hi, how are council slabs free?

That’s the width of the back of the garage and the 3 appliances are spread out side by side within that width. The depth is to accommodate plumbing/sockets etc.

Slabs often come up for free or just a £1 or so each on Marketplace, depending on how much of a hurry you're in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back