Building a desk using box section steel

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm hoping someone more knowledgeable can help with this.

I'm looking to build a simple desk for home use.

This will have a mild box steel frame and a simple tabletop.
e.g. something like this:
a3aba899b24f6388d205d22faee40acb.jpg

I don't have equipment to weld the joints so I've been looking at some rubber joints with metal core, e.g.:
cornershapedsquarethreaded_lg.jpg

Rough dimensions will be 150cm x 70cm x 70cm.
I plan to have a square frame of each side and a rectangular one at the top for the tabletop to rest on. I wasn't planning to have a section going across at the bottom.

Does anyone have experience of using these?
Will they be robust enough so that the desk will not wobble in normal use?

I've asked a couple of shops and they've said that their customers do use them for retail shelving etc.

Any views welcome.

Thanks

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I have used a lot of these in school projects but they have been made from ABS plastic rather than rubber.....the better ones have a metal core.
They work very well - the barbs keep the jointers in place but they are awful to get apart, so consider them as a once only fit.
John :)

Strong enough but lots of easier, cheaper and stronger options.(and prettier)

Used tons of the stuff branded under speedfit

Either buy the tube ready cut or buy the jig if hand cutting

Sponsored Links
Strong enough but lots of easier, cheaper and stronger options.(and prettier)

Hi foxhole,

what would you suggest instead?

I did also consider full metal connectors such as these, but they were a bit expensive:
square-4304-main.jpg

Thanks

The structure will be strengthened significantly with the addition of a top and maybe side panels.
Another method would be to fix strip steel webs at the back to triangulate.....these could be fixed with pop rivets but would be visible, obviously.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back