Suitable timber thickness for desk top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to build a simple desk top into an alcove. In order to keep the design clean I am planning on gluing pine boards edge to edge for the top and supporting it on 3 sides using battens that sit flush as rebated into the top. Dimensions of the top would be ~1100mm x 450mm. In the context of shelves, I've read that the rebate (and batten thickness) should be ~60% of the shelf thickness.

Could anyone recommend a thickness for the pine desk top? I'm currently looking at 32mm thickness with 20mm battens - I expect this is the lower limit. I've used online sagulators however I'm unsure of the likely load - the desktop will hold a PC monitor, a few books and the weight of elbows.

Alternative design ideas welcome if you think the rebate option is unlikely to withstand wear & tear.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
32mm is more than enough for something that small, supported on three sides. I would say 22mm is minimum, 25mm better, 32mm chunky (assuming timber, not MDF).
I'm not quite sure what you mean by battens sitting flush?

For shelves above I'll create a recess on 3 sides with a router in order to hide the battens and give the impression of floating shelves. I want to do the same with the desk top below.

Yes, will be using timber for better strength.

Hope that helps

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back