Building a kids play camp

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

I want to build my kids (5 and 2) some form of shelter / camp in the garden. I've looked at wooden kids play houses but they're all quite expensive and the cheaper ones look pretty shoddy. I want to try to knock something up for them, to use and look at buying one if they get good use out of it.

I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what I could build it out of to get something together for a reasonable cost. I am pretty useless at anything DIY related so it would have to be relatively idiot proof.

I was thinking of...

Buying a pre-made base from B&Q
http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/garde...X5-Lumley-Summerhouse-11987598?skuId=12498304

That'd elevate it and protect the grass somewhat and allow me to move it around if required.

Then, put together some sort of frame to support a camo tarpaulin, cost around £10. The camp would be the size of the base and maybe 3 or 4 foot high.

It's the frame I'm struggling with, I just don't know how to go about it. I want it to be really sturdy but I'm not sure I'm capable of building it but I'm not quite ready to decide that.

It's either that or make "walls" out of maybe half-height fence panels screwed together, it should be pretty sturdy then a sloping roof out of another one waterproofed with tarp.

Can anyone give me some advice on sorting this out or do you think I should just bite the bullet and buy a play house?

Cheers
M

Sponsored Links
in my experience kids' enjoyment and the amount of time and money you spend are generally unrelated. depending on your kids (and how 'rustic' they like things), you might be as well off hammering four of these into the ground and draping the net over that:

http://www.diy.com/nav/garden/fenci...pe-Pole-H-1-6m-x-W-80mm-9276736?skuId=9286436

this way you might not be spending your life building the thing, and you'd be able to play with your kids instead! of course, if they like the simple version then it might be time to learn how to do it 'properly'.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back