Building a new garage & later extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My house currently has a single skin detached garage adjacent to the side that I plan to have rebuilt longer and wider and pulled across to join the house with an internal door from the downstairs hall to the garage.
However as my parents arent getting any younger I'm also considering the possibility of a double height extenstion with a granny anex on the top (the upstairs hallway has a 3x4 window which would make a doorway to the granny anex)

Under current building regs, is it possible to have the garage built and future-proofed for a possible upstairs extension, or would it have to be done as a complete 2 storey extension should I want to put in a granny anex?

Sponsored Links
Planning and practicalities aside.

Whilst you’re doing the garage conversion works and having it inspected I don’t see why you can’t just tag any extras on to your Regs application, subject to paying them a bigger fee of course.

I'd consider ensuring that the single garage has suitable foundations to take a second storey at a later stage.

The garage roof joists could also be designed to be used as floor joists later on.

The link of a door into the garage means that the garage floor has to be 150mm below the house floor so there's no point in insulation the garage floor at this stage as you'll raise it up when you convert it.

When you do finally apply for a double strorey extension then whatever the planning permission and building regulations will be at that time is what you'll have to adhere to - not todays permissions and regs. It could be that we'll be super-insulated at some point in the future with 500mm walls that have 300mm cavities, so you might have to be digging out 1m wide foundations........who knows how the regs will change!

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back