Building a pizza oven - will the base support the weight?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm building a pizza oven in the back garden and wanted to check a few points re strength/support of concrete and bricks to check everything will be supported ok. I'm following established plans, it's just they use rebar and I'm not sure if it's necessary or not:

- The weight of the oven & structure above the concrete base will be around 2.5 tonnes. Will a 1.5m x 1.5m x 0.15cm concrete slab support this safely? Will I need to use rebar when making this?
- In the middle of the structure is a 2nd concrete slab under which wood is stored, and top of which there is the oven floor. This will need to support 1 tonne of weight for the structure above it. So same question as before - will it need rebar? It will be the same dimensions as the base slab
- The bricks on the base slab supporting the middle slab + structure above will be 1.5m long on 3 sides with the 4th side open. Is this strong enough to support the weight above which is 1.8-2 tonnes (presuming the concrete slab in the 2nd part is strong enough)?

Here's some very dodgy text images if my description isn't good enough to image:
___
|///| <- main oven part
---- <- middle slab
|....| <- bricks on 3 sides, open on front to store wood under
----- <- base slab

and here's a random image I found on Google that probably better explains it: http://www.traditionaloven.com/pictures/oven/atlanta_pizza_oven.jpg

George

Sponsored Links
146000_145101_35325_34544145_thumb.jpg

this is what i have built a cob oven. cook everything in this, roast dinners the lot. use it all the year round

If you are working off established plans, I would stick with them and use rebar. Peace of mind if nothing else.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back