Concrete base advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm currently planning an outdoor oven for next spring time and have seen the one I want (buying a pre-fab) but need to build a base. This thing weighs 400kgs so I'm guessing I need to put a slab down that will support this plus the brick walls to take it to a height I can use, so that's going to be the best part of 5-600kgs it will need to support.

It will be approx 2 meters long and 1.5m wide - any ideas/advice on thickness and if I should put some metal support inside, such as this type of thing:

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/ROM-Concrete-Reinforcement-Steel-Fabric-A142-Mini-2-42x1-22m/p/302415

Do I need to pay the slab on anything other than bare earth? As you can tell I've not done this type of thing before, so need a 'dummies guide'.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I'm certainly no expert, but dug and poured foundations for a retaining wall. The lessons I learned (including countless hours of internet research) led me to believe that 12 - 18 inches depth is usually enough for anything short of a house, though width/depth is also important (extending at least 12 inches beyond the wall/oven front/back and each side). Ensure the base of your trench is firm (if previously undisturbed then it should be well compacted anyway - just don't dig beyond and then fill back in loose).
Although probably unnecessary, I bought some rebar (look on gumtree or ebay for leftovers) and supported it a few inches above the base of the trench (on parts of bricks) before pouring the concrete. For straight sides and a clean edge to your concrete, build some 'formwork' out of timber for the top few inches (or whatever is above ground).
Buy a cement mixer, all your materials, a couple of buckets (to measure quantites), and a wheelbarrow, then mix and pour your concrete in a single session (generally, the dryer the mix the stronger the resulting concrete). Finish the surface with a piece of timber, hose down and sell your mixer to the next DIYer, and job's a good'un!
Youtube is a great resource, as is http://www.pavingexpert.com/
Once you've done it once, you realise it isn't rocket science.
Oh, one other thing I learned was that my mixer needed to be stable, with plenty of weight holding it steady around the feet/stand - it fell over and threw my first load over the driveway and front lawn!

Hi, thanks for the reply. I was talking to a guy who has put a 700kg bbq on a 4 inch base - he's had that down for 2 years with no issues... so far.

Sponsored Links
500kg is not a lot in the scheme of things. If you put down a raft, the depth of concrete is less important than the quality of the ground or base as its less likely to crack than it is to lean.

If it was me I would dig out the area and put down 4 inches of compacted hardcore and a 150mm reinforced concrete slab. That would be plenty, probably slight overkill but rather that than wonky and its such a small area it wont be too difficult or costly.

12-18 inches is flat out bonkers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back