Building a shed close to tall wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting up a 8x6 Winchester apex shed near to a tall wall in my garden. I understand that I need to treat the wood regularly. The shed was very cheap and the wood is not the strongest. I'd like to get the shed as close to the tall garden wall as I can. Is there something I can use to coat the wood which will be closest to the stone wall so that I am able to push the shed right up close to the stone? If it can last 20 years, that would be good enough for me.

Sponsored Links
The problem is not the wood rotting just because it's thin, the problem will be the water run off from the roof - it will splash up and continually dampen the side of the shed in the winter. I would suggest that you give the side of the shed that will be facing the wall a good couple of coats of wood preservative prior to assembly (paint it lying flat on the ground) and then put a plastic gutter along the eaves to catch the run off from the roof. Use a downpipe to direct the water away from the shed or into a water butt.
You could maybe completely assemble the shed away from the wall including the gutter assembly, and then lever it into its final place once finished. If its a cheap lightweight shed that shouldn't be too difficult!

Thanks, that's useful to know. I've ended up leaving a gap in the end because I didn't want to destroy some ivy. It will make a handy storage area anyway for random bits of wood ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back