Building a Shed/Workshop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I hope this is in the right section, I am looking to build a shed and have a few questions.

Our garden starts wide and gets thinner towards the end. I can only build the shed at the bottom of the garden, and to get the maximum workbench space and to utilise as much of the garden as i can then it has to be non-square. So my first question would be how do I deal with the lack of right angles?

If I were building a square shed I would use right angle brackets when building the fram, but now I cannot, so how can I ensure the corners are stable joins and don't leak etc?

Also what roof would you suggest? Ply with felt? Ply with gelcoat?

And materials?

My plan was to build a concrete base, build a frame from 2x2 and clad with the external grade tongue and groove.

Any thoughts on how to improve this? Cost and ease of build are fairly high on my list, but equally I don't like taking shortcuts.

Thanks

DJh

Sponsored Links
heeelllooo and welcome djh82uk
you need to walk before you run
a shed thats equal will have many different angles

try making a foam model and cut off the edge to match the plot
anyway my very messy workshop is around 12x10ft internal fully built by me and probably cost around 2k-2.5k including insulation electrics and a wood burner

http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b270/bigall2005/

That looks great, the electrics are easy as my father is an electrician and already has the consumer unit, sockets, cable etc.

There is a B&Q style 6x8 shed in the way at the moment. As soon as I knock that down I can start measuring properly and making drawings.

Just could not figure out how to do the corners of the walls.

Thanks

DJH

Sponsored Links
if you have an angle to a wall it will be lower at one end to the other
the roof will be at an angle hense the suggestion to make a model and cut it off to help you understand how it works :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back