Footings for shed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If I were to build a brick shed in my garden, how deep and how wide would any footings need to be?

How deep should the floor be?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
depends on the ground and size of the shed.
for single skin brickwork I'd go 600mm deep x 400mm wide minimum with a concrete depth of around 300mm.
pad depth 75mm laid on 1200g membrane on 50mm sand blind on 150mm hardcore whackered
for cavity wall I'd go 500mm wide with a 75mm cavity.

That's quite a lot. I'm thinking of a 3m x 2.5 shed.

What do you think it would cost to have someone to the footings and base for me? I've had enough of digging and concreting, so not interested. I don't mind laying the bricks though and doing the roof.

300mm deep is over the top, do them 150 deep and just go down to firm earth. You've still not said if single skin or cavity wall?

Sponsored Links
Single skin will do, it's not going to be heated.

Out of interest would I need to go deeper if double skin? I assume so due to the extra weight.

No, its a shed, keep it simple. So long as you hit firm earth you'll be fine. It may be more economical/easier to fill your concrete up to a depth just below ground level, rather than faffing about building blockwork in the trench.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back