Building a small shed - with bricks on edge.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want a small shed, about 4 feet high and 3foot wide - the width of the paving slab base. What I want to put in it doesn't quite fit unless I put the bricks on their edge, i.e. with the frog facing inside the shed.
Is there any real problem with this? It only has to last a few years but is seems obvious a brick is not designed to be used this way, although at only 4 feet high there won't be much load on it.
Obviously this is a DIY project and should be treated as such, building regs do not apply :) but failure after 1 year wold be very annoying.

Sponsored Links
If they're essentially solid bricks (ie not the ones with through holes) then it'll be fine but keep a close eye on your vertical. The ones with through holes would probably be fine. But it would be loads cheaper and easier to lay another run of pavers and use blocks :)

Thanks, I hadn't considered the brick with holes. Space is limited and bricks/slabs were reclaimed a couple of years ago so materials are free if I use what I have.

Fair dos- free is always good. Keep the wall vertical and you'll be fine, a shed isn't going to come anywhere near fail load for bricks on edge

Sponsored Links
The thing I was most concerned with is rain affecting the flat face of the brick because the edge is designed for it. Not sure if it will soak in more than usual and crumble in winter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back