Building an open wardrobe in an alcove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I would like to build an open wardrobe in an alcove, a bit like this one

81S7ev4yQjL._SL1500_.jpg

The ones selling online seem flimsy. Can anyone suggest how I could build it myself, say with scaffolding poles or metal pipes and clamps? What I struggle to work out is how to do is make the uprights telescopic, so that I can adjust the height

Sponsored Links
https://www.themetalstore.co.uk/products/tube-clamps

25mm or so would be fine
Proper scaff is 50mm and way OTT for a domestic set up
We use a lot of 50mm at work for building stages and lighting rigs but I recently built an animation bench out of 25 and it's sturdy

The verticals need to be cut close to the correct length but have a bit of play available as they slide into the top/bottom plates and fit with Allen keys

You can buy tube cut to size if you measure and make a list- check measurements three times!!
Galvanised/powdercoated/stainless

I would like to build an open wardrobe in an alcove, a bit like this one

View attachment 178027

The ones selling online seem flimsy. Can anyone suggest how I could build it myself, say with scaffolding poles or metal pipes and clamps? What I struggle to work out is how to do is make the uprights telescopic, so that I can adjust the height
Just sold one like that for £10 on Facebook, look for local sales on social media.[sphock. etc.]
I also made one for a friend, used timber uprights as they are cheaper and easier to install.Standard rails can be purchased in DIY sheds.You are no going to match the baskets DIY.

To make the baskets, "get" some shopping trolleys and use a grinder to cut the bottom off.

Sponsored Links
Just buy the baskets from ikea.
Look up "ikea hacks"

Often it's better to look for baskets and accessories first, and build a tube system to fit rather than the other way around

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back