Building and planning details

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all just a quick question for u all. Iv been bricklaying for 19yrs now so I’d like to think I know what I’m doing lol. Iv worked on site for the last 17yrs and been doing my own thing for 2yrs. I recently found out off a building inspector that building regs on site r diff to extensions etc ‍♂️. I done footings for a extension and conc cavity fill 225mm below dpc. He then told me it’s to high so I now have to put a dpc tray in, if I kept the cavity fill 300mm down I wouldn’t need cavity tray. I would put it in if it was 225 or 300. I then ad plans from the same department for a different extension and it stated the cavity fill should b 150mm below dpc with no cavity tray ‍♂️. What’s your opinion on this? Mine is building inspectors and planning don’t av a clue what they r doing

Sponsored Links
It's 225mm below DPC where I live. Going back in time before you picked up your trowel it was 150mm, but some of the cavities where getting blocked up over DPC.

Some of them seem to interpret the regs differently to others, but you can challenge them if you think they are wrong.
NHBC guidance is at least 225mm below DPC, although in some cases it can be 150mm.

Sponsored Links
The same regulations cover site and home extensions, the only difference is in commercial and domestic construction.

The thing to remember is that the regulations are not specific and do not say "you must fill to 225 or 300 below DPC", rather they say something like "there must be a suitably drained cavity to prevent moisture ingress".

So the clear cavity can depend on the floor type, the insulation type, and the ground level.

Hi all just a quick question for u all. Iv been bricklaying for 19yrs now so I’d like to think I know what I’m doing lol. Iv worked on site for the last 17yrs and been doing my own thing for 2yrs. I recently found out off a building inspector that building regs on site r diff to extensions etc ‍♂️. I done footings for a extension and conc cavity fill 225mm below dpc. He then told me it’s to high so I now have to put a dpc tray in, if I kept the cavity fill 300mm down I wouldn’t need cavity tray. I would put it in if it was 225 or 300. I then ad plans from the same department for a different extension and it stated the cavity fill should b 150mm below dpc with no cavity tray ‍♂️. What’s your opinion on this? Mine is building inspectors and planning don’t av a clue what they r doing
Is there anything about that extension which may require it - external ground level, sloping site, internal finish floor level, slab construction and insulation position etc etc.

building regs are a mixture of prescriptive and performance based and are open to interpretation to allow for different circumstances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back