building at home for business use

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Id like to build in our garden [its about 1 acre]. Im looking at something the size of a double garage. It would be for my small business [Im a cake maker] and for general storage. As its on my private property, would I be less likely to get planning permission as I would be using it for work?
It wouldnt be a shop - just a kitchen really - no traffic / parking issues.
My business is legitimate, already health and safety checked etc so council already know I work from home.
We are a registered small holding too if that makes any difference.

Sponsored Links
There may be potential problems with planning permission for a business use. You may need to check the local plan, and ask some [very discrete] questions to the planners.

It may be better just getting permission for a basic store as this will be less contentious and then once built "decide" to use it for a business. Then whether you do so unbeknown to the planners or then apply for change of use, will be your decision.

Or get some local advice, and apply for the business use from the start.

Don't forget building regs too. It may not apply for storage use, but will do for business use

Sponsored Links
It sounds complicated. I dont like the idea of business rates either.
I think it would just be easier to apply for an extension and make my current kitchen huge - and do it that way.
Ive never had to deal with planners. Can you get much feedback by ringing and asking questions - or do they want too much detail from you? and money of course!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back