Home business needs PP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I cannot find an answer to this anywhere hopefully you can help.
Considering building a big shed within permitted development guidelines and running a beauty salon from it. Contacted council who advised Planning permission to be sought as its a home business. Impact to neighbours needs to be considered which is fair enough.
Submitted application and some accompanying documents but not architects drawings. Do I need to ?
I'm thinking, possibly if clients are visiting then building control measures......on the other hand im hoping the councils request is for the reasons stated and the build is not the concern.

Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Do you mean category, so
Residential Buildings
Existing Dwellings
3a
"Any building within the curtilage of a existing dwelling house. Including the erection of a building, for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house

for a purpose incidental to the enjoyment of the dwelling house
Operating a business is not that.

I'm thinking, possibly if clients are visiting then building control measures
No possibly about it. Commercial use requires compliance with building regulations.

Planning permission and building control are two separate and unrelated things.
In this case you need both.

Alternatively obtain commercial premises elsewhere which will avoid all of those problems.

Sponsored Links
PD won't apply. You need to submit design drawings. Under the application process, there is a list of essential documents required for specific applications, so review that list. Your application won't normally be registered unless it has the required documents.

You will need a design and access statement to describe the building design, why it has been designed the way it has, and how it will be used. Key considerations will be the coming and going of customers, working hours and days, parking and noise and the impact on neighbours. Bear this in mind and provide suitable details that show impact is minimal.

Building regulations are different, and whilst will apply to the design and construction generally, the safety of people using the building will be pertinent.

Insurance will be required, and if mortgaged you'll need the lenders permission.

It's not impossible to get this type of permission, but dealing with impact is crucial.

First, thanks all for taking the time to reply,
Business has ran for 20+ years, new landlord new rent, more than double! Attempts to find suitable alternatives have failed.

So contacted council against better advice (we have a difficult neighbour on one side). Reviewed their "working from home" criteria and put a case to planning showing how It doesn't generate noise, no advertising etc etc. The only area unclear was the term "minimal clients".
Reply was vague - home business requires planning, give the neighbours the opportunity to make representation.
3a seemed the best fit. I'm not employing an architect or getting mired down with building control, life's too short. Can I get my money back do you think ?

Thanks
Paul

Perhaps build the shed under PD, and then go for a change of use. It's recently happened near us - people built some outbuildings and have subsequently (couple of years after building) formally got planning permission to use it for a small hair salon. They had over 100+ letters in support on the planning - I think they got all the customers to write in.....(the person was a busy mobile hairdresser)

Thanks again all.
Theoretically say you build according to pd, then apply for change of use. You're not then required to submit architects drawings, consult with building control?
More and more people are running small business from garden rooms, garages, sheds.
I mean assuming impact to neighbours is minimal then surely whether you have 1 member of the public or 100 in your outhouse it's the same, paying or not it's the same in regards to pd, drawings, building control.
Have I just fallen fowl of using the wrong language. The huts a chess club in the evening, a yoga room

Before you get too excitable you might want to enquire what effect this back garden hair salon will have on your council tax- it's a business therefore it'll attract a business rates bill, business waste collection, business energy supply (maybe).....
Given the state of most town centres these days I'd be amazed if you can't get a low rent deal on a high st (or shopping arcade) unit, plus that rent can be dropped against tax (unlike any build costs for your PD later to be converted shed)

Before you get too excitable you might want to enquire what effect this back garden hair salon will have on your council tax- it's a business therefore it'll attract a business rates bill, business waste collection, business energy supply (maybe).....
Given the state of most town centres these days I'd be amazed if you can't get a low rent deal on a high st (or shopping arcade) unit, plus that rent can be dropped against tax (unlike any build costs for your PD later to be converted shed)
It's a little more complicated than that.

Using a small part of the home for a business won't attract any extra rates. For business rates to be charged, the Valuation Agency will have to be involved to rate the building, and that's not too common for home businesses in the shed or suchlike.

But on the plus side, there are tax breaks for using part of the home and facilities and stuff.

There still exists laws that allow you to create a bomb shelter underground...and you don't have to notifiy

You may need to pay business rates as well as Council Tax if:
you’ve made changes to your home for your business, for example converted a garage to a hairdresser’s

This business type is specifically not excluded, it would need to be assessed for business rates.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back