Building brick wall with pavers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My friend is having pavers in her front garden and wants a small wall around it. She is on about having the paver bricks for the wall. Is it ok to use the same bricks to build the wall aswell as the paver patio.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Can anybody please help me with this problem , as I personally think she cant build a wall out of paver stones I think she needs proper house bricks. Can somebody please tell me if i am correct. Thanks.

Judy, you seem desperate for a reply to this, so this is just my twopenceworth. If the wall is a purely ornamental one, I would think your friend can probably build it out of whatever she likes. People have traditionally used crazy paving stones on their terraces and the surrounding low walls and that seems to work OK. Personally, I think that paviors will look a bit ugly - because they're so thin - and passing vandals might kick it over, but if your friend likes the look . . .

It can be done, and will be strong and not liable to be easily damaged, but pavers look rubish as a wall.

One edge is chamfered and the other three straight, and so you have the problem of even pointing. Then you have the nibs on the side which show, and worst of all, the mortar smudges all over the concrete blocks and it looks terrible.

Get some proper brick, or at least concrete bricks meant for walling

Sponsored Links
Why not build up a 9 inch block wall, (4 '' Blocks laid flat) say 3 or 4 high, cap on the top with what we call 'Brick on edge' which is as it is said uusing the pavers from the drive, and render the blocks and paint , just the render.

if the wall has 90 degree angles in it, then there will be a perp issue too.

a standard house brick is more than twice as long as it is wide. this is to allow for perp joints and will not be the case with paviors. a standard pavior is exactly twice as long as it is wide.

so you will end up with 'christmas' perps. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back